DisplayLink UDL(4) within TrueNAS

vasquezmi

Cadet
So this was part of a FreeNAS thread many years ago and thought that I would revive since in 2017 FreeBSD started support for DisplayLink.

I found on the FreeBSD pages that you can invoke UDL in the kernel config or have the module start at boot in loader.conf.

I have an AOC USB display that I would like to use; however, I do not see where the DisplayLink driver is located in the TrueNAS base.

The information from FreeBSD on DisplayLink is here: https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=udl&sektion=4&manpath=FreeBSD+12.2-RELEASE+and+Ports

Please advise with your thoughts on this. I have already tried both in the loader.conf as well as tried in TrueNAS System>Tunables which posts the setting to the loader.conf.local file. Still no result and I believe it is that it is not present.

Any help would be greatly apprecated!

vasquezmi

Cadet
Bumping this to see if anyone has an answer. I am able to see the device set within usb0 but cannot invoke through loader.conf.

I ran a usbconfig and received the following: highlighed DisplayLink device

# usbconfig
ugen1.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.1: <0x8086 XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.1: <Intel EHCI root HUB> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen2.2: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x8000> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.2: <vendor 0x8087 product 0x8008> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.2: <SanDisk Ultra Fit> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (224mA)
ugen0.3: <SIGMACHIP USB Keyboard> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON (98mA)
ugen0.4: <DisplayLink E1659Fwu> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=ON (126mA)

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The udl.ko driver exists in /boot/kernel on my 12.0-U4 system. You'd load this by setting a loader tunable udl_load="YES", and then rebooting. To verify it loaded after the reboot, run kldstat | grep udl. Manually editing the loader.conf file won't work, as the middleware will overwrite your changes.

vasquezmi

Cadet
Thank you for the quick response. I did see that I had U3 and upgraded to U4. I now see the udl.ko in boot\kernel. I performed the steps in Tunables, rebooted and looked to see if the kldstat list showed that udl was running. I did not get a response.

Thoughts? it is set as variable: udl_load Value YES

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
What does dmesg say? When I manually tried kldload udl, I got this output in dmesg:

Code:
KLD udl.ko: depends on videomode - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/kernel/udl.ko - unsupported file type

This appears to need the compiled-in kernel device videomode, but this isn't shipped in the TrueNAS 12.0-U4 kernel. So it appears there's no support yet for UDL video.

vasquezmi

Cadet
Yes, same messaging here. So...we are progressing. I will submit a request to see if we can get this loaded. Even offer to beta...simple for me to do full backups and restores as needed.

Again appreciate the quick responses, have an excellent rest of your day!

vasquezmi

Cadet
Did a little more digging and it looks like there are two app layer files that are missing for UDL located in /root/dev/usb/video. They are UDL.c and UDL.h and the contents of each file are located on the freebsd file repository. I could not mkdir for the folder so I could bring the files in to see if it envokes the videomode switches. But details of the files are here: https://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/dox/dev_usb/html/d2/de7/udl_8c_source.html.

The udl.c file provides and include for videomode as well as the config.

iasoren

Cadet
Did you end up getting it to work? I'm running into the same videomode issue.

Where exactly are you trying to bring the files into?