display hard drive firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

s1nglebarrel

Cadet
Is it possible to discover what the hard drive firmware is for installed hard drives in a running nas setup? I am looking to validate that i am running the most current firmware for my Seagate drives and would like to validate if they need it or not before playing with offline disks and checking them one at a time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your best bet is to look up your hard drives by serial number on Seagate's website. Each model from a different manufacturing plant has a different firmware. SD and CC are the common ones last time I checked.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Seagate's website will have no idea whether or not the firmware on a particular drive has already been upgraded.

"smartctl -i /dev/ada1" or whatever should also identify Firmware Version.

Do be aware that the latest crop of Seagates does not uniformly run the same firmware. Some models of the ST3000DM001 run CC43, some run CC4H, etc. as the latest firmware. I have some "manufactured 10/2012" drives that came with CC43.

bollar

Patron
For future reference, camcontrol devlist will give you the firmware versions for all of your drives at one time.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Seagate's website will have no idea whether or not the firmware on a particular drive has already been upgraded.

Correct, but last time I used it the website told you if there was an update available since the drive was manufactured.

Do be aware that the latest crop of Seagates does not uniformly run the same firmware. Some models of the ST3000DM001 run CC43, some run CC4H, etc. as the latest firmware. I have some "manufactured 10/2012" drives that came with CC43.

Very true. When I built a file server years ago with a bunch of Seagates and some had CC1H(had a fatal flaw in the firmwware) and some were SD43 despite being manufactured the same work week of the year. The models were identical and Seagate made a tool to help identify drives that had firmware updates available at the time because their CC1H bug was so nasty. Then it was changed to use their Seagate support website where you put in the model and serial number and it would only give you a yes/no answer. If the answer was "yes" you had to call Seagate customer support to obtain the upgrade files for the hard drive. Strangely, I had a few Seagates that had all the same firmware versions and 2 were upgradable and 3 were not. I was baffled because I'd expect that all version AB12 would upgrade to the same version, but the Seagate reps made it very clear that I should not try to load the update on any drive that the upgrade wasn't approved for. So now I have some drives with an upgrade and some that don't despite them all starting with the same version. Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.