Disk showing up but unable to create a volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keitthhh

Cadet
I'm running build FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x86 (ab098f4) and am having a bit of trouble actually creating my volumes.
This is a picture of my "view disks" screen if it would help

Capture_zps69299c50.png

And Here is a picture of my screen when I go to "Auto Import" a volume. You can see that nothing shows up in the dropdown.
Untitled_zps772a1b75.png

I've completely lost when it comes to what I'm supposed to do. Any suggestions?
And I'm sorry about the title, the .f is not supposed to be there.

gpsguy

Read a little further down in the manual, for instructions on creating a volume.

From the manual "If you click Storage → Volumes → Auto Import Volume, you can configure FreeNAS® to use an existing software UFS or ZFS RAID volume. This action is typically performed when an existing
FreeNAS® system is re-installed".

Keitthhh

Cadet
Read a little further down in the manual, for instructions on creating a volume.

From the manual "If you click Storage → Volumes → Auto Import Volume, you can configure FreeNAS® to use an existing software UFS or ZFS RAID volume. This action is typically performed when an existing
FreeNAS® system is re-installed".
Thanks for the reply, but how would I create a volume then? freenas is telling me that my drives have 0 bytes that I can use to create one. Why is that? How can I fix it?

gpsguy

Here's a snippet from the forum rules, regarding the posting of new messages.
  1. FreeNAS version and platform (32 or 64 bit). [yes, you did provide this info]
  2. General hardware information (CPU, RAM, Motherboard model, etc.).
Please tell us more about your hardware. How many disks do you have? Are they SATA? How are they connected - onboard SATA controller, hardware RAID controller, USB, ... Are the disks blank?

Did you install FreeNAS on a flash drive?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, feel free to post what gpsguy(and the FreeNAS forum rules) ask for. You've done something wrong, and your hardware clearly isn't compatible(or something else is seriously wrong). So feel free to actually post the info so we can help you further.

Keitthhh

Cadet
Here's a snippet from the forum rules, regarding the posting of new messages.
  1. FreeNAS version and platform (32 or 64 bit). [yes, you did provide this info]
  2. General hardware information (CPU, RAM, Motherboard model, etc.).
Please tell us more about your hardware. How many disks do you have? Are they SATA? How are they connected - onboard SATA controller, hardware RAID controller, USB, ... Are the disks blank?

Did you install FreeNAS on a flash drive?

Well, feel free to post what gpsguy(and the FreeNAS forum rules) ask for. You've done something wrong, and your hardware clearly isn't compatible(or something else is seriously wrong). So feel free to actually post the info so we can help you further.

Wow I didn't even see his post. I wasn't anticipating much response but I was wrong! I wiped my SINGLE sata drive(IDE) and it is just regularly connected. I'm fairly certain there is no RAID controller but I don't need one. I then installed Freenas from a disk to the drive itself.

PC specs: (I tried using the bios to configure the drive in AHCI but the drive doesn't support it. Therefore logically it's IDE
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
2019MB of RAM
around 300 gb HDD
Ethernet not wireless

cyberjock

Inactive Account
First, you need more than 2GB of RAM for ZFS. So upgrade.

Second, that CPU is not going to provide good performance with ZFS. So again, upgrade or go with UFS.

Third, the fact that the disks are 0 bytes in size tells me your hardware probably isn't compatible. The fact that AHCI isn't supported is a red flag that you should stop and reevaluate your server hardware. AHCI is very important for proper operation, which is why it's specifically mentioned in the manual.

Overall, I'm not sure where the hangups in your server are, but this just smells of a server that is not going to have a story that ends well. If you read the stickies we recommend server-grade hardware, ECC RAM, etc. You don't need ultra-expensive hardware, but hand-me-down old stuff like what you listed is not appropriate for FreeNAS. And you're finding out first-hand because it's just not working.

gpsguy

FreeNAS needs to be installed on a disk of it's own. You can't install it on the disk where the data will be stored. The recommendation is to install it on a 4Gb flash drive.

With just 2Gb of RAM, you'll be limited to using UFS.

With your system spec's, NAS4Free, might be a better option. You'd have to visit their forum for support.

Keitthhh

Cadet
FreeNAS needs to be installed on a disk of it's own. You can't install it on the disk where the data will be stored. The recommendation is to install it on a 4Gb flash drive.

With your system spec's, NAS4Free, might be a better option. You'd have to visit their forum for support.

Wow I feel stupid lol. Okay I'll use a USB and just give it a try. I don't really expect this to play a very prominent part in my life, but it might someday, so I'm learning now!

Hmm. Okay I'll try the UFS and if things just aren't going right, I'll try the other option.

Status
Not open for further replies.