Disk price comparison site

stewleach

Cadet
I recently created a site to scratch an itch I had while trying to find the best value drives for my home NAS, and thought here would be an appropriate place to share it with the wider community who may also find it useful.

It's called List of Disks https://listofdisks.com/ and uses data from Amazon (currently limited to US and Australian markets) to provide a easy way to compare prices and features.

Let me know how you go, I'm always keen to get feedback to help make improvements.

TempleHasFallen

Dabbler
Hey, great tool and work. Hope you support Europe soon!

To start you off with some feedback:

1706185163783.png

Classified with both wrong type and wrong size

1706185179870.png

Many duplicates with exact same price and item and MDL, just different useful portions of the link.
1706185197939.png

You'll want to trim anything after the highlighted ? to avoid the duplicates. Also helps with removing tracking from the link itself.

1706185211941.png

You may want to manually check/filter for "Internal"/"External" to avoid wrong classification.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Amazon listings are very often wrong when it comes to parameters like Internal/External, even reputable stuff setup by the OEM and sold by Amazon. Might be worth having manual overrides for such things...

NugentS

MVP

The Samsung 84TB HDD at $299 looks especially good value. OK so its only a 3.84TB PM983 - but you have it listed at 84TB - I think that a coding issue - you missed the "3."

:cool:

I'd buy several of those - but I think the big data archivers would be snapping them up very very VERY quickly
Think Samsung would like to buy them as well!!

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
1706189752637.png

Some more good deals - all showing the same issue

Good first attempt though

somethingweird

Contributor
Suggestion: tooltip or title="" - with complete description for those truncated titles.

rmccullough

Patron
I would love to see this include drives from https://serverpartdeals.com/ or similar sites and then provide filters for New, Refurbished, Recertified, etc.

Etorix

Wizard

stewleach

Cadet
Great feedback everyone, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to provide this.

I'll be attempting to address these issues to improve the quality of the results (some were already on my radar, but having it called out has provided extra incentive to get it fixed quickly :smile: ), its probably never going to be 100% perfect though due to the nature of scraping Amazon results which, as noted, is often incorrect.

My long term goal is to move off from scraping and use Amazons Product API directly (which I'm assuming provides improved data...it might not!) but that requires me to qualify for signup.

Thanks once again. I'll provide an update when a new version is available.

MrGuvernment

Patron
So this site looks identical to yours? Same template used...

Also a quick search brings up several existing sites..

Doesnt seem to auto update but uses newegg

UK/US

Does PCPartPicker have an API that could be used? Since it scrapes sites already

Know there is this old one..

stewleach

Cadet
So this site looks identical to yours? Same template used...

Also a quick search brings up several existing sites..

Doesnt seem to auto update but uses newegg

UK/US

Does PCPartPicker have an API that could be used? Since it scrapes sites already

Know there is this old one..
Yes, indeed, diskprices.com was the original inspiration. At the time the Aus site was removed due to a complaint from Amazon, but was then resolved and re-instated. I built this to try and plug that gap as I found it very useful. Unfortunately the issue was resolved on the same day I launched mine haha.

MrGuvernment

Patron
Yes, indeed, diskprices.com was the original inspiration. At the time the Aus site was removed due to a complaint from Amazon, but was then resolved and re-instated. I built this to try and plug that gap as I found it very useful. Unfortunately the issue was resolved on the same day I launched mine haha.
Go figure...

I would see if you can get API's from other sources besides amazon alone. Then like PCPart picker,. you could show the price across different sites..

joeschmuck

Old Man
That is a funny link. Seeing those high density cheap drives, missing the leading digits. I will stick with my manual research.

stewleach

Cadet
Thanks for all the help once again. There should be an updated version now that resolves some of those "quick fix" issues.

joeschmuck

Old Man
What did you do? It looks like you removed any drive that had a fractional value so you only have whole TB values. Example: 4TB and any drive such as 3.84TB was removed. I like the idea or the lookup tool but it could be overlooking other good values. I'm sure fixing it is not an easy or at least obvious fix. I can relate.

Davvo

MVP
Amazon listings are very often wrong when it comes to parameters like Internal/External, even reputable stuff setup by the OEM and sold by Amazon. Might be worth having manual overrides for such things...
100% take for the model number and look for the official datasheet publiahed by the manufacturer.

stewleach

Cadet
100% take for the model number and look for the official datasheet publiahed by the manufacturer.
That's an interesting idea. My initial reaction was that it would be a lot of work for my individual use case, but if one was created as a central resource, and was provided as a simple REST API, then anyone could have access to accurate and standardised specs.

I did a quick search to see if anything similar existed but came up empty. The PCPartPicker link previously provided appears more generic.

Any ideas if something like this already exists?

Davvo

MVP
Any ideas if something like this already exists?