Disable SWAP partition when installed FreeNAS in USB disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypress

Dabbler
Hi,
I was installing FreeNAS 9.10 into a Sandisk 32GB USB disk. I am planing to build a 10TB capacity storage in this machine, and the physical RAM is 16GB already. I'd like to disable all SWAP partition in this USB disk, because
1. I think it is the RAM size is good enough according to official document which mentioned the memory requirement is 1GB RAM per 1TB storage plus 1GB RAM for OS. It should be no reason to use SWAP partition for simulate RAM.
2. Without SWAP partitions, the USB disk read/write is decreased. It makes USB disk life time longer.

Does it necessary to disable SWAP partitions?
Please give me some ideas and opinions, thx a lot.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
When the RAM is adequate, swap is rarely used, and wearing out an inexpensive USB drive is not a big concern. If a SATA port is available, consider using a small SSD instead, which is faster and has better wear-leveling.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi,
I was installing FreeNAS 9.10 into a Sandisk 32GB USB disk. I am planing to build a 10TB capacity storage in this machine, and the physical RAM is 16GB already. I'd like to disable all SWAP partition in this USB disk, because
1. I think it is the RAM size is good enough according to official document which mentioned the memory requirement is 1GB RAM per 1TB storage plus 1GB RAM for OS. It should be no reason to use SWAP partition for simulate RAM.
2. Without SWAP partitions, the USB disk read/write is decreased. It makes USB disk life time longer.

Does it necessary to disable SWAP partitions?
Please give me some ideas and opinions, thx a lot.
FreeNAS doesn't create swap on its boot disk; it creates 2GB of swap on storage drives at they time they are added to pools on the system. So you don't have to worry about swap wearing out your USB disk.

You can change the size of the swap partition on these drives in System->Advanced, but make any change here before adding drives as this setting is not retroactive.

You do need to give FreeNAS some swap space; it's not recommended to run it without any, and it will use swap occasionally regardless of how much memory is installed in the system.

Cypress

Dabbler
Sorry, I made a mistake. I used swapinfo to check SWAP information and SWAP partitions were under /dev/. So just like you guys said the SWAP partitions are not related to my boot disk. Thanks you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.