Deprecated tunables and hard disks not being fully utilized

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_Zon

Dabbler
Hey, I have a couple of short questions about my FreeNAS box.

I went back to the basics to purely test the performance of the disks, not utilizing zil or cache's yet, and I noticed something off, for some reason, when I make a pool of 4 (2x2) 1terabyte disks, and start doing random writes, I noticed that all 4 disks only do about 30-40 IOPS each, as opposed to about 70 I expected. Is this because they are mirrored and only get to about 70 combined? or should they be able to reach their 70 IOPS individually?

Also, I see there's always just 1 operation in queue for the disks at any given time, I figured I could increase this using the tunables zfs_vdev_min(max)_pending, but these seem to be deprecated in the latest FreeNAS version, is this true? My last question is if it might be possible to increase the amount of nfs daemons.

Thanks in advance!

Chris_Zon

Dabbler
gy6vdCv.png

Here you can see the disks during an IOmeter test, 8 outstanding targets to make sure they are being utilized fully by IOmeter.

Here is a diskinfo where you can see that the disk is capable of full iops if i check it in gstat.
WEESziC.png

w47PFfd.png

Chris_Zon

Dabbler
I don't think this tunable is deprecated, but rather that it falls into the category of "not all of them are exposed as tunables / sysctls yet". The original commit is at https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/51e896cc788706dc8452cead59674074dc38091c.

You can increase the number of NFS daemons using http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/NFS.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately my problem still isn't solved. My disks are still not being fully utilized even after increasing the NFS daemons from 16 to 32 (whcih is probably unnecessary anyway right now as the disk queing seems to be the problem)

Any idea on how to get the disks fully utilized?

Chris_Zon

Dabbler
Quick Bump, if I can't get this to work properly I'll have to break the server down and turn it into something else :)

Status
Not open for further replies.