Debian and Ubuntu VMs not working properly

Flashbin

Dabbler
So I've been wanting to install a PiHole in my Network, but because it's not directly supported on FreeNAS, I tought i could try to install Ubuntu Server or Debian in a VM. So after countless tries, here are my problems:

• debian-9.11.0-amd64-netinst.iso will boot, but the screen is always a garbled mess (see screenshot). I've tried giving it more RAM. I've tried many different VNC viewers.

• ubuntu-18.04.3-live-server-amd64.iso will boot properly, but even after selecting the right keyboard layout, keys appear on random spots where they shoudn't ever be. E.g. the number 4 will be next to the enter key, whereas other keys won't do anything. Impossible to even adjust the IP configuration, because I cant find the "/". Again, I've tried multiple VNC viewers without success.

I've tried this on 11.2-U7 and 11.3-RELEASE, but both produce the same problems.

My hardware:
MB: Dell 0KWVT8
CPU: i7-4770
RAM: 16GB non-ECC

Apollo

Wizard
The issue is the resolution. I believe you need to set it to 800*600 under the VNC options, I think.

Flashbin

Dabbler
The issue is the resolution. I believe you need to set it to 800*600 under the VNC options, I think.
Thank you for the quick response, but I'm not sure how I could do that. In RealVNC and ThightVNC, there's only scale, which is set to 100%/auto.

Apollo

Wizard
For Debian:
Go in the "Virtual Machine" menu.
Debian VM should be in the OFF state.
Press the "3 vertical dots" on the same line as Debian VM and select "Devices".
On the "VNC" line, select the "3 vertical dots" and select "Edit".
Change "Resolution" to 800x600, save and then you can start your Debian VM. Display should now be readable.

Flashbin

Dabbler
For Debian:
Change "Resolution" to 800x600, save and then you can start your Debian VM. Display should now be readable.
Thank you very much, this solved it!

KevDog

Patron
@Flashbin

If using VNC regularly you might want to consider using x2go.

ghosty

Cadet
For Debian:

This message needs a pin!
THANK YOU !!!