Dataset vs Zvol and space reporting properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Leeking

Cadet
I am sorry if this is a simple question as I am fairly new freenas. I just received 3 new 4TB drives today and setup a RaidZ configuration but I am confused as to how to properly set up my volumes. I would like my initial layout to look like this 2Tb for an NFS share and another 2tb for a cif share. From what I can read I would want to do this with datasets vs zvol's as Zvols are block storage. My problem lies in the fact I cant seem to find where I can set a dataset to a maximum size. I see that creating a Zvol I can create a maximum size but then my space for each dataset / zvol gets out of whack as illustrated by screen cap. Can someone give me guidance on datasets vs zvols and how to set a maxium size for each and finally it would be nice for the GUI to show that the max space for the volume \ dataset is what i set it to not the entire volume. Thanks

upload_2015-2-17_21-31-30.png

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You will want to use quotas to accomplish what you want to do. You can read about them in the manual.

Dave Leeking

Cadet
Thanks. I do remember reading this the first time through the documentation but missed it when configuring. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.