Data Set creation in 8.3.0 manual clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDPsGM

Explorer
Under section 6.3.5 Creating ZFS Datasets:

It says:

Once a dataset is created, you can click on that dataset and select Create ZFS Dataset, thus creating a nested dataset, or a dataset within a dataset. When creating datasets, double-check that you are using the Create ZFS Dataset option for the intended volume or dataset. If you get confused when creating a dataset on a volume, click all existing datasets to close them--the remaining Create ZFS Dataset will be for the volume.

With regard to the bolded part, I am not really sure what I am Double-Checking there. There IS only one type of Data set is there not?

This very well may be a case of me needing to walk away for a minute, but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

J

James

This is referring to nested datasets. It is possible to create a new dataset on the volume or on an existing dataset.

TDPsGM

Explorer
Ok, thanks.

This question might need to be moved to a different location on the forum or maybe I should start a different thread, but here it goes:

If I give User1 read/write permissions to /mnt/bin1 (bin1 being the first data set I create);
then I give User2 READ ONLY permissions to /mnt/bin1/docs . . . will User1 be able to read/write to the /mnt/bin1/docs directory being that it is 'nested' in the first dataset?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.