Data pool not accessible anymore

Papillon

Dabbler
Hello,

I'm running FreeNAS 11.2 since a few month and everything were working perfectly.

I tried to update to 11.3, and have some problems, so I went back on 11.2 version.

Today, I had the message "Pool DATA state is UNKNOWN" and "Pool DATA is UNAVAIL: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures."

I restarted the server two times. When the server is rebooted, I have to manually enter the passphrase to unlock it (I want to do it manually), now in the pool manager the pool is "LOCKED" but when I click on the lock icon I have "Lock" instead of "Unlock".

In the Pool Status page, the pool is "UNAVAIL" and my only disk is "REMOVED" and in the Disk Manager the disk is "UNUSED".

Can someone help me ?

Thank everybody.

Papillon

Dabbler
Nobody has an idea? It not seems to be difficult to add an UNUSED disk into his actually EMPTY POOL without losing the data in it.

If FreeNAS STABLE is as stable as my installation for all other users of 11.x version, I'm quite afraid and disappointed.

FarTooNice

Cadet
I just experienced a similar issue, will post about it in a dedicated thread later. Short story: importing an old config solved the problem and the pool was suddenly available again. Still no idea what happened.

Papillon

Dabbler
Bloody hell! I was on 11.2 U8 with no old config to follow your advice. With no hope, I downgraded to 11.2 U7 (used when creating the pool). Magically the pool is now HEALTHY. Thanks a lot FarTooNice. I will export my files to an EXT4 volume and migrate to OMV.

Yorick

Wizard
my only disk is "REMOVED"

Single drive pool?

One, whatever happened there should not have happened. Definitely worth following up on, in that thread @FarTooNice speaks of opening. Related to encryption maybe?

Two, ZFS was not for you. You are actually better off with ext4. The point of ZFS is data security, and it can’t do its job with a single drive. All of ZFS’s checksumming becomes pointless when it can’t get a proper copy of the data from another location. Two drives in a mirror is really the minimum to get the advantages of ZFS: For a single drive, it doesn’t seem the best choice. Possible corner cases like “I have a second one on order” notwithstanding.

That said, what happened there should not have happened.

Papillon

Dabbler
Yes, for the moment I've a single WD RED 4To and it will take month but I plan to buy 2 or 3 more identical drives. For security but also for performance, in write speed the max I can hit is 60 Mo/s.

Yorick

Wizard
Did you have a plan for those 2 or 3 more identical drives? Move the data off your single drive, create a raidz1? Add one to the first drive as a mirror, and add another mirror into the pool? Or add them into the pool as degraded mirrors, like the first drive? If the latter, a failure of any one drive would wipe out all data.

ZFS requires planning of the desired storage layout. That’s one of its restrictions, maybe the only true restriction.

Papillon

Dabbler
Nope, I want a RAID 5 so first I will move all files to my backup NAS (as weekly), wipe the actual wd red and then add the 3 disks in a ZFS pool (then copy files on it from the backup NAS)

Yorick

Wizard
I don't think OpenMediaVault does ZFS, but you can do RAID5 there. FreeNAS, in contrast, does ZFS, and supports raidz1 - which is similar to, but not the same as, RAID5.

Keep in mind a raidz1 vdev cannot be expanded, should you decide to go this way. You can add another raidz1 vdev to the pool, you can also replace all drives in a raidz1 vdev with bigger ones and get the new capacity. You cannot add an additional drive to a raidz1 vdev.