"Daily run output" report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cellobita

Contributor
On my very first FreeNAS 8.0 deployment (utilizing the RELEASE version) I somehow activated the sending of two daily reports (and an additional weekly one) to my e-mail address; of those, one in particular - called "Daily run output" - is especially useful to me, mainly for the disk usage bit (I have copied a sample below).

However, I seem unable to configure the same functionality on a new 8.0.1b4 install (and yes, the mail configuration is set up correctly, I can send myself a test e-mail without trouble).

What could be happening? Has this report been removed from the new versions?

Thanks,

Marcello
São Paulo - SP - Brazil

Removing stale files from /var/preserve:

Cleaning out old system announcements:

Backup passwd and group files:

Verifying group file syntax:
/etc/group is fine

Disk status:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a 458M 399M 22M 95% /
devfs 1.0K 1.0K 0B 100% /dev
/dev/md0 4.4M 2.3M 1.8M 56% /etc
/dev/md1 686K 8.0K 624K 1% /mnt
/dev/md2 75M 16M 53M 23% /var
/dev/ufs/FreeNASs4 20M 862K 17M 5% /data
MD0 1.3T 23K 1.3T 0% /mnt/MD0
MD0/Fotos 1.3T 14G 1.3T 1% /mnt/MD0/Fotos

Last dump(s) done (Dump '>' file systems):

Checking status of zfs pools:
all pools are healthy

Checking status of ATA raid partitions:

Checking status of gmirror(8) devices:

Checking status of graid3(8) devices:

Checking status of gstripe(8) devices:

Network interface status:
Name Mtu Network Address Ipkts Ierrs Idrop Opkts Oerrs Coll
em0 1500 <Link#1> 00:1e:c9:1d:b6:d2 6937341 0 0 3596771 0 0
em0 1500 10.10.0.0 bmserverfotos 5983909 - - 6222431 - -
lo0 16384 <Link#2> 20 0 0 20 0 0
lo0 16384 fe80:2::1 fe80:2::1 0 - - 0 - -
lo0 16384 localhost ::1 0 - - 0 - -
lo0 16384 your-net localhost 0 - - 20 - -

Security check:
(output mailed separately)

Checking for denied zone transfers (AXFR and IXFR):

Scrubbing of zfs pools:
skipping scrubbing of pool 'MD0':
last scrubbing is 26 days ago, threshold is set to 30 days

Checking status of 3ware RAID controllers:
Alarms (most recent first):
No new alarms.

-- End of daily output --

Cellobita

Contributor
I'm not sure it is the same issue: I haven't actually configured the SNMP option on the first server (I've just double-checked it, the tab is blank and the service itself stopped).

marcusmarcus

Explorer
Try filling out the SNMP section and see if that works, maybe it stopped sending you those reports because it is blank and stopped. That is what I setup on 8.0 release and that is what sent me the reports you are mentioning. After one of the beta upgrades it just stopped sending them though.

Cellobita

Contributor
It doesn't work (same error message you've mentioned on your thread); however, I'm pretty sure I have never configured it (SNMP) in the first place.

Cellobita

Contributor
Dug a little deeper and came up with more info:

I have SSH'ed into the server and verified the contents of /var/log/maillog; from them, I have confirmed that the system does attempt to send the reports in the early hours of the morning, but fails with a "TLS handshake failed: a protocol violating EOF occured", even though I can send a test email thru the GUI interface (and actually receive it on my mail client).

Is it possible that a bug on the script that sends those reports disregards one or more pieces of the mail server config set up on the GUI? That would seem to explain why you can send a test message, but the system reports do not go through.

Marcello

joeschmuck

Old Man
Did you put in a trouble ticket for this problem? Please do if you haven't.

Cellobita

Contributor
Will do that tomorrow, hopefully with one last bit of info: I have disabled the TLS option (it's mentioned on the error message, and my ISP's mail server doesn't seem to actually need it) - if I do receive the report tomorrow morning, we'll have narrowed things down a bit, I guess.

Thanks for your input!

Marcello

Cellobita

Contributor
[Partially Solved?] "Daily run output" report

Success - got my first report from this new machine a few hours ago!

I think there may be a problem with the script/module that sends the reports and the TLS/SSL option on the Settings -> Email tab:

• if you set it to TLS, test emails sent from there do go out; however, the actual scheduled reports fail with a "TLS handshake failed: a protocol violating EOF occured" error (you'll find the error on /var/log/maillog).
  • Switching back to Plain fixes the problem (both the test message and the reports are sent), but may not work with mail servers that expect some form of crypto.
This is a problem with the 8.0.1 beta versions only; it does not occur on 8.0-RELEASE, from what I can tell.

joeschmuck, you've mentioned opening a ticket for this - how can I do that?

Regards,

Marcello

joeschmuck

Old Man
Visit this site. Register (use the same username and password you use on this forum to make it easier) and Optional field is really not optional.

https://support.freenas.org/register

Once you are registered and logged in, upper right hand corner is New Ticket. The more information you put into the ticket, the easier it will be to track down the problem, especially if it worked before.

Opening up a ticket also triggers others to test out the problem reported and they can update your ticket if they find something relevant.

Take care,
Mark

Cellobita

Contributor
OK, it is created (ticket #528) - please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help with this issue.

Regards
Marcello
São Paulo - SP - Brazil

joeschmuck

Old Man
Looks good. I'm sure the developers will get to it in the near future. You should get an email when the status changes so you will know what is happening to it and when it's fixed so you can try it again.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
After installing the nightly update "FreeNAS-8r7765-amd64", I am now again receiving the Daily run output reports using TLS and port 587 for my email setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.