Daily report on Freenas 9+

Status
Not open for further replies.

50Miles

Dabbler
I'm getting crazy of this issue. I also tried the earlier post of Danb35, http://pastebin.com/ryqheCD5. No joy. Even more errors, so now i'm trying with my own file to remove the last error. Think its something with the spaces. I don't have enough knowledge of SSH yet to do/edit that way.

If i try the chmod command, i get:

[root@freenas ~]# chmod +x /mnt/Volume1/Software/Freenas/status.sh
chmod: /mnt/Volume1/Software/Freenas/status.sh: Operation not permitted

danb35

Hall of Famer
For ssh, the simplest (albeit least secure) way to do it is to turn on the ssh service, go into the settings for ssh (the wrench icon) and check the box for "log in as root with password". Then use putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) to connect, using the root user and password.

Once you're logged in, you should see a prompt that looks a lot like this:
[root@freenas2] ~#
At that point, you can do anything you could do via the shell in the Web GUI, it'll just work better. I like using nano for a text editor--it's simple and easy to use, even if it may not have all the features of something like emacs (a comprehensive operating system that happens to include a text editor).

The error with chmod is strange. Volume1 is your pool, right? Is Software (or Software/Freenas) a shared folder? If so, did you set Windows ACLs?

50Miles

Dabbler
Thx! I tried putty, but if i want to safe, it comes with the error: no such file or directory. Kinda strange. Logged in as root like you said.

Volume1 is my pool indeed. Sofware is a shared folder. I set Windows ACL to my personal account. In Freenas is set owner at root, and group at my own account.

I just ssh'ed with my personal account information, and nano worked! I could not paste, so i typed the whole script by hand. Now i do not get any errors.

CHMOD still does not work :S. tried in ssh with root account and with my own account. Very strange.

I think this case is closed, except the chmod command. At least i learned to use putty the next time.

50Miles

Dabbler
Could someone tell me how i re-open a file with nano after i safed? just use the same command?

Tried: works!

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, nano will edit the specified file. If that file doesn't exist, it will create it.

On your chmod issue, I can only guess that it has to do with the Windows ACLs. Unfortunately, that's a subject that I just don't know anything about.

Status
Not open for further replies.