Custom software/OS under FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm new to both linux/bsd and NAS and have made the decision to build a custom NAS but have some questions before choosing FreeNAS.

1. Am I able to load Ubuntu OS under FreeNAS - and if so, how do I proceed?

2. Am I able to run custom applications/programs through FreeNAS like XBMC?

3. FreeNAS is based on BSD - how is its compability with Linux based software?

4. Are you able to use another FTP service than the one built in FreeNAS? I want to use glftpd as FTP service or similar software - is this possible and if so how do I proceed to install this on FreeNAS.

Probably some stupid questions, please bear with me I'm a newbie :) I could also add: How easy is it to migrate from Windows to FreeNAS? Do I need to pick up some books and start educate myself or is it pretty much straight forward? Thanks in advance :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can run pretty much everything with a Virtualbox jail, with the typical strings attached.

You can run FreeBSD stuff in jails.

Native support for Linux binaries is not stable and will be removed soon, until it's improved (which may be never).

As for alternative FTP services, I guess it's possible in a jail, but it requires some setting up.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What Ericloewe said.

I know XBMC doesn't really do server and client like Plex does and FreeNAS doesn't do anything locally except text mode. So do keep in mind that if you want to do XBMC you're going to need a separate machine to bootup and play your videos.

Yatti420

Wizard
You can have a centralized database for your xbmc implementations..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

A very late response, thanks for all answers. I think Plex will do and XBMC run on seperate machine as suggested. glftpd got a FreeBSD version so I guess it wouldnt be a problem to run this in jail and play around with it, if not i can use the ftp service in FreeNAS.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If you want a slashie "server / desktop computer", then FreeNAS is not the way to go. You can use PC-BSD and share some folders (if you want ZFS).

Status
Not open for further replies.