SOLVED Creating Jail: "Unable to find jail template"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fish

Contributor
When trying to install the Crashplan plugin, it fails out and give the error: "Unable to find jail template".

Any ideas? Maybe it has something to do with this thread I made.

Thanks,
Fish

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
I had this very same issue. And I found that I could do an install just fine if I did so on a ZFS volume with only a single disk?! Question mark for why hell is that, and the exclamation for the time it took me to figure that out. Even when I managed to install VirtualBox with linux inside, I still could not use the plug in system to install Plex. I had brought the 2 ZFS volumes across from OpenZFS from my nonApple computers running OS X. I upgraded both pools, and they are working great. The only other thing I can think of, because it solved another problem, is that the RAIDz1 I was trying to use for the jails was over 80 percent full. And of course the single drive was empty. I was unsure if it was related to my volumes being created on something besides FreeNAS. Sorry, no answer, just a workaround.

Fish

Contributor
My Jails dataset has 1.5TB available, so it's not a free space issue.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I had no issue installing Crashplan as of a few minutes ago, I then deleted it because I don't use it. I have only have the Virtual Box template installed on my system, same version as what you have installed per your first thread so I'm not sure why you are having an issue. Maybe you could provide more detail about your system setup, maybe that will help, I don't know. What other jails do you have running? At what point in the Crashplan installation does your error message happen (step x/6)? More clues might help.

The only thing which bugs me is you started a second thread for the same exact problem. Stick with one thread please.

Fish

Contributor
I see the 2 issues as possibly related, but not identical thus the 2 threads.

It fails out after step 1/6. "Downloading..." completes, but then the next step is where it stops. /var/log/messages has this error:
Code:
 manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:37] [MiddlewareError: Unable to find template!]

catnas

Explorer
I encountered, after upgrade, a similar issue. I resolved it by:
1) destroying all jail datasets
2) manually creating a new jail
3) installing the plugin of my choice

Step (2) creates the following dataset: .warden-template-standard/
I think it's that dataset which the plugin interface is looking for. If that is helpful to you, let me know. good luck.

Fish

Contributor
I encountered, after upgrade, a similar issue. I resolved it by:
1) destroying all jail datasets
2) manually creating a new jail
3) installing the plugin of my choice

Step (2) creates the following dataset: .warden-template-standard/
I think it's that dataset which the plugin interface is looking for. If that is helpful to you, let me know. good luck.

Would it work to just delete the datasets that begin with "jails/.warden-template"? I really don't want to re-create all my jails as they were a pain to get working.

Here are the datasets:
f6j8ZUc.png

In step 2, do you mean to "Add Jail" and not pick a template?

catnas

Explorer
Would it work to just delete the datasets that begin with "jails/.warden-template"? I really don't want to re-create all my jails as they were a pain to get working.

Here are the datasets:
f6j8ZUc.png

In step 2, do you mean to "Add Jail" and not pick a template?

You can tell I am sort of new, so I hesitate to tell you to do something so destructive. in your list, I do see the warden-template-standard so perhaps that is not your issue. If you wanted to try, though, you could attempt to destroy just the template datasets and then create a new jail (which will prompt a download of the standard template and recreate the template dataset).

As I said, that's what worked for me. YMMV, but did want to offer it up, just in case.

Fish

Contributor
Since I can't rollback a snapshot of a dataset after destroying it, I think I'm going to see if anyone else can confirm that this works.

Can anyone else confirm this works?

Fish

Contributor
I fixed it! I renamed jails/.warden-template-pluginjail to something else and installed the plugin again. Interestingly, I had to do it twice to succeed but now the pluginjail template is back and the folder has contents now (it didn't before for some reason).

joeschmuck

Old Man
All you needed to do was delete your VB template file, then when you go to create a new jail it will see the template is not there and go download it. Been there last year but I had issues with the template being a different version than what I needed, in your case the version I had and what you had matches today so I assumed if this template worked for me, it should be valid for you.

noobnas

Dabbler
I know this post is long dead, but I had some trouble with this after upgrading from 9.3 to 9.10. The jail configuration needed to be changed for me. In the web GUI I changed a setting under Jails > Configuration > Advanced > Collection URL:

I changed http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64/ to http://download.freenas.org/jails/10/x64/

I had deleted my Jail dataset because I was trying to follow other guides, but if you're getting that can't find template error then I bet you won't need to delete yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.