Creating custom Kernel and/or loadable modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

leenux_tux

Patron
Hello all,

Over the last couple of months I started to purchase components for a new SOHO server which will eventually replace two seperate Freenas systems I have. This meant a requirement for a minimum of 8 available SATA connections in the new system. I purchased a Supermicro X9SCL+-F Motherboard, with 32GB of RAM (which I am really happy with), however, I made the mistake of purchasing a SAS controller card where the chip set is not supported under FreeBSD/FreeNAS..oooppss. Due to work committments I did have chance to try out the card for well over a month so it's now too late to return the card and, to be honest, as the card is what I would class as (rightly or wrongly) "good value for money" considering it's a Supermicro (AOC-SAS2LP-MV8) I would like to attempt building a custom Kernel using the source code supplied either from the CD, or on line from (for example) the Linux Kernel Database.

I am a complete N00B as far as adding custom modules or creating custom kernels so it would also be a good way of learning how the FreeBSD kernel works so I don't mind tinkering and luckily I am in the position to be able to run test builds on the target hardware so I can "play" around as much as I want to.

So my question is this, has anyone succesfully built themselves a custom FreeNAS Kernel ? Does anyone know of any good guides which detail the process ? Or, is it something that should be avoided at all costs !!?

Thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd say you are on the crappy end of a losing battle. Read http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=27222

FreeBSD is not linux, so the linux code can't just be added and compiled. But considering the card is getting old and still no driver that works I wouldn't expect it will ever work. Nor would I expect someone that doesn't know how to do the "basic" compiling to be able to figure it out or I think it would have been figured out already. (no offense)

Just order the M1015 for $100 or so on ebay and enjoy your new card.

leenux_tux

Patron
Cyberjock,

Thanks for the prompt reply and no offense take whatsoever.

Tried to read the thread you provided (http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=27222) and unfortunately I can't access it, I guess it's been deleted perhaps ?

Will take a look at the IBM M1015's, however, having looked in the past I reckon they are like rocking horse sh$t in the UK, currently there is only one available on ebay, all the other are either in the US or Canada.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Weird. I just clicked the link and it worked for me. That thread is from 2011 and was last updated like 2 weeks ago. Bunch of people came into and out of that thread asking if it was supported yet over the last 2 years. The answer for each one was "nope, still not working" as of 2 weeks ago. That's why I said if it is that common of a problem and still not fixed it more than likely isn't fixable without manufacturer's assistance(many don't take FreeBSD drivers to be important).

The M1015s really are where its at. Buy one and reflash it to IT mode and you will be off to the races for a long time. It's a "dumb" HBA 8 port SAS 6Gbps controller and is highly recommended because the drivers are thoroughly supported by LSI, the price beats out any other 8-port controller you'll shop for, and it does the proper passthrough of disks for ZFS.

Yeah, as soon as you leave North America it gets difficult to get stuff for reasonable prices. I'd offer to help get you one, but I doubt my help would be much value.

Status
Not open for further replies.