creating an iSCSI Target

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertw

Dabbler
hi guys,

basically ive got a raid disk (da0=12TB) and i want to create an iSCSI target but i want to make the iscsi target 2tb

i click on add extent

make a portal
make an initiator
make a target

but when it comes to "extents" i can only choose the whole of my device da0 ie 12TB i cant shrink it down to 2TB

do i have to reconfigure my raid on my system again so there in 2tb segments?

robertw

Dabbler
no when i use "device" extent i cant change the size BUT if i use "file" extent i can specify the size, how do you specify 2TB, do you write 2 TB or 2000000000000 in the size box?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
When you don't answer the question I ask to clarify the situation, you make it difficult to answer. Please post a detailed description of your hardware, and your FreeNAS configuration specifically including ZFS pool configuration.

robertw

Dabbler
16x1TB in raid 6 config so 14TBoverall and some reason free nas when i come to add the device extent sees 12.7TB

Zfs pool config?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeNAS does not have "RAID 6". Your statements suggest you are using hardware RAID but you said no, and when prompted for detailed information, you gave a useless trite response. Excuse me, I'm headed off to greener pastures with my remaining 12% battery. Good luck!

robertw

Dabbler
Really sorry,i was referring to the other guy when he said " you can specify a size on the extents and i replied "no"
Im sorry for the confusion

Yes it is a h/w raid controller

The ZFS POOL im using is stripe on "da0" as it only comes up as one disk As their using the h/w raid instead

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you read the manual one of the stupidest things you can possibly do with ZFS is put it on a hardware RAID.

You should probably stop and go to the manual and read through it before going further. History shows you are probably making other terrible mistakes you don't know about.

robertw

Dabbler
Awesome think i may have answered my question,

I first created an extent using "dev" "da0" but this option you cant specify the size and it uses all the disk space ie 14TB which is too big as i just want 2TB

I then created a zfs volume labeled as vol01 and striped "da0" so it came to 12TB

I went to add extent using "file" path "/mnt/vol01/lun01(filename)" and then i could specify what size it is, "2TB"

Once done i could see the disk in disk management

robertw

Dabbler
Would you recommend software raid over hardware raid?!?

The only worrying thing is that ive got the hardware raid up and running (raid6) and now ive set a zfs volume software raid to strip my hardware raid disk, isnt this dodgy and to me it doesnt make sense

I couldnt see the option to making the volume just ZFS and to not make it striped volume

warri

Guru
You don't seem to fully understand what you are actually doing or what the ZFS Raid levels mean. That's the perfect recipe to losing your data. Go read this, this and this. Then go and read the FreeNAS manual.

After that you should be able to answer that question by yourself. If not, you probably haven't thoroughly read the linked resources and should start over.

robertw

Dabbler
thanks for everyones help, i will read the guides as instructed

i really appreciate it

rob

Status
Not open for further replies.