Creat a Jail is impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerloop

Cadet
Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

I am french, so i'm sorry if you don't understand me
I come to you in desperation.
I started in the FreeNAS adventure and everything went well thanks to the different time tutorial to configure and create a jail for installing plugins.

I'm creating a ZFS "Jail" dataset in my disc, with permissions read, write and executable for my use.
But once the jail configure when I try to create one, I get the following message appears:

http://cdn.freenas.org/9.2.0/RELEASE/x64/jails/freenas-pluginjail-9.2-RELEASE.tgz: Operation timed out ERROR: Failed extracting: http://cdn.freenas.org/9.2.0/RELEASE/x64/jails/freenas-pluginjail-9.2-RELEASE.tgz cannot open 'NAS/PLUGINS/Jails/.warden-template-pluginjail': dataset does not exist ERROR: Failed to create ZFS base dataset
Can you help me ?
many thanks

rm-r

Contributor
Hi,

welcome!

You could try widening the permissions to allow all users as a trial - also make sure you configure the jails options to point to your dataset correctly

rm-r

Contributor
if you click on that link in a browser do you get to download the template? can you ping google.com from the freenas box?

killerloop

Cadet
when I click on that link I download the template.
How can I do to ping google.com from my freenas ?
thanks a lot

rm-r

Contributor
in the webgui - click the "shell" option - in the popup window type

ping www.google.com

joeschmuck

Old Man
In your Network setup, ensure you have set you DNS server. Most people can use their router address here (192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.0.1). If you can ping then you probably have the DNS setup.

Rand

Guru
Make sure that the configured jail root directory is a properly mounted an accessible file system with enough space.
If the download of the template file fails you always get "Template not found" instead of a more reasonable message "Could not write to xyz"

nor_cal

Cadet
I have the same problem. Network access from my FreeNAS box works, including DNS etc. My jail directory's ownership is root:wheel rwxr-xr-x. There, a directory ".warden-template-debian-7.1.0/" gets created and the template downloaded, but in the next step I am getting "Unable to find template."

fracai

Guru
I was actually trying to create a Debian jail last night and ran into something similar.

The template would get to less than 50% in the download and fail ("an error occurred"). It would seem like the jail creation had been stopped, but looking on disk the template was there. A few seconds later the jail dataset would be created and a bit later would show up in the GUI as running. I could jexec into the jail and start running commands. The first thing I tried was 'apt-get update' and 'upgrade' (any reason to avoid these?) and I started to see errors (one related to unsafe or unprotected memory and others related to hardware and permissions). I assume that the errors are due to an incomplete install or the incomplete Linux compatibility layer.

ckatzsch

Cadet
I've had the same problem installing a plugin with a virtualized freeNas 9.2.1.2.

Check the following:

jails -> configuration -> advanced -> collection url

the inserted url lead to an error 404 as i opened it at the browser. After inserting http://cdn.freenas.org/9.2.0/RELEASE/x64/jails/ i could create jails and plugins.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why did you respond to a thread from 4 months ago?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
But if you search the forums the problem from months ago and the problem from yesterday/today is not related. There was a server problem here. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah.. that's part of the problem. Had to fix it on iX's side from what I understand and its taking time to replicate across the world.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Folks digging up old threads...

Status
Not open for further replies.