CrashPlan - Missing .ui_info file in jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericv

Explorer
So I've setup crashplan 3 times on my FreeNAS server. Each time I cannot connect from my OS X client to CP on my server. I've followed the instructions on these forums and even found that I need to copy the .ui_info file from my jail to my OS X client (https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...4-3-0-now-will-not-connect.35269/#post-214637) however I don't have a /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info file, just a .identity file in that directory.

Anyone else solve this problem?

ericv

Explorer

Phlogi

Dabbler
Inside the jail. You can watch the activity of crashplan with, maybe you can see something there: tail -f /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/service.log.0

/edit: What version are you running?

ericv

Explorer
Inside the jail. You can watch the activity of crashplan with, maybe you can see something there: tail -f /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/log/service.log.0

/edit: What version are you running?

@Phlogi - I really appreciate the help, stick with me. I'm at work now, but can follow up later today with the logs if I can't figure it out on my own. As for what version, (again can't see now as I'm at work) it should be whatever version is in the plugin repository as that is where I installed it from.

ericv

Explorer

ericv

Explorer

Let me know if there is anything in my log I shouldn't be posting. I stopped the service the plugin then started it. I attempted to remove my email and public ip address. Log attached.

Attachments

• serivice.log.0.txt
    51 KB · Views: 499

ericv

Explorer

Phlogi

Dabbler
I believe that is already in the file, I'll have to check when I get home. I saw a similar post elsewhere.

The error in your log posted clearly relates to this change, maybe you have to re-apply it after updates come from within crashplan.

ericv

Explorer
The error in your log posted clearly relates to this change, maybe you have to re-apply it after updates come from within crashplan.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Given it is a fresh install I don't think there was an update. I appreciate the help.

ericv

Explorer

The values were already set, here is the file.

Code:
SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService
GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop

ericv

Explorer
I've tried everything I can find. Does anyone know how to make this work as a fresh install?

Fahad Chaudhri

Dabbler
I've tried everything I can find. Does anyone know how to make this work as a fresh install?

Hey, I am not too experienced with this but I somehow managed to get it working with clues and info from many different threads. I had the same issue as you are. The plugin wasn't updating. I was using GUI version 4.4.1 on windows to connect to the plugin in freenas. I got a few hints/notes from my search online to fix this issue. First hint, you need the same version of GUI and crashplan plugin. Second hint, GUI version 4.4.1 needs .ui_info file because it looks at the IP address at the end of it.

I hop this helps you. Here is what I did.

1. I uninstalled everything.
  2. Went online and downloaded GUI version 3.6.3 (the same version as the plugin when it is installed at first).
  3. Installed the plugin in freenas. Configured it for network connectivity.
  4. Edited my.service.xml file. Changed the IP address 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0 Location: /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
  5. Restarted the entire jail. I like to restart the entire jail than the plugin.
  6. Installed the GUI 3.6.3 version on windows.
  7. Configured the ui.properties file on windows (C:\Program Files\Crashplan\conf). Removed the hash # before serviceHost=127.0.0.1 and changed 127.0.0.1 to the address of crashplan jail
  8. Another thing I also did was that I put every hash on it its own line instead the file being one long line.
  9. Instead of this >>> #Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005#serviceHost=199.199.0.8#servicePort=4243#....................
    • I did this:
    • #Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005
    • serviceHost=192.168.1.10
    • #servicePort=4243
  10. Made sure CrashPlanEngine was running on plugin.
  11. Started GUI and it connected to crashplan plugin. I was able to see the storage I added to jail in freenas.
  12. While configuring backups, I accidentally closed the GUI. When I started it back, I noticed it said "Updating" instead of connecting. I was wondering if it was updating the GUI or plugin. Guess what, it updated both but GUI only went up to 3.6.5.
  13. GUI failed to connect to plugin. So I went to shell of plugin and started looking if Engine is running and it wasn't. I wasn't able to start it either.
  14. I ran /var/log/crashplan/engine_output.log and noticed that plugin version was now 3.6.4.
  15. I then ran cat /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf and noticed that -Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider was missing.
  16. I edited the run.conf file and added -Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider for both lines as mentioned above (before -UTF8).
  17. Note>> At this point, restarting the plugin or jail cleared away all the changes I made to run.conf
  18. I went back and repeated step 16. This time right after saving the changes to run.conf, I restarted Freenas. << I read about this on another thread.
  19. Repeated step 14 and noticed the plugin version changed again.
  20. Repeated step 15 and noticed the line missing again.
  21. I then repeated steps 14 to 16 and restarted Freenas every time the plugin version changed.
  22. However, I didn't have to repeat steps 14-16 once plugin version reached 4 something. At this point, running service crashplan sotp && service crashplan start did the trick.
  23. This way I finally got the plugin to update to version 4.4.1 and .ui_info file showed up as well.
  24. I went back to my windows machine. Uninstalled GUI version 3.6 and installed GUI version 4.4.1.
  25. Repeated step 4 to 10.
  26. Ran cat /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info It showed me something like this 4247,294686x7-3fa5-40b7-86d2-c0c754bb82e1,0.0.0.0. I copied the bold part.
  27. Went over to my windows machine. Changed folder settings to show all hidden files/folders.
  28. Went to C:\Program Data\Crashplan and there I saw .ui_info file. I edited this file by replacing the long string with the one I copied and changing the IP address 0.0.0.0 to the one of crashplan jail.
    • NOTE: You'll have to repeat the step of changing the long string every time crashplan plugin restarts because it generates a new string every time.
  29. Ran GUI and it connected to my crashplan plugin. Now I have everything up to date.
The only issue that I am having now is that crashplan keeps loosing connection to Crashplan central every minute or so and back up stops. In history I see -Reason for stopping backup: backup destination disconnected. I have increased the RAM for GUI and plugin by changing run.conf file but it still didn't help. I am not sure what is going on with that.

Nick2253

Wizard
You actually don't need to match the GUI and plugin versions. GUI version 4.3.0 will work for all versions of CrashPlan 4.3.0 and below. It's only after you update to 4.4 that you specifically need the 4.4 GUI, because of the IP address in .ui_info

ericv

Explorer
Hey, I am not too experienced with this but I somehow managed to get it working...

I hope this works for me, I'll try tonight when I get home from work.

Fahad Chaudhri

Dabbler
You actually don't need to match the GUI and plugin versions. GUI version 4.3.0 will work for all versions of CrashPlan 4.3.0 and below. It's only after you update to 4.4 that you specifically need the 4.4 GUI, because of the IP address in .ui_info

Thanks for correcting Nick. I wrote that because I read it someplace else. Since it lead me to use GUI 3.6.3 and helped me get my setup going, I thought it might help others.

I hope this works for me, I'll try tonight when I get home from work.

I hope so too. Just have patience. It might take longer than it did for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.