CrashPlan Crashing Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

David3D

Explorer
Yes, the irony is real. What makes it even stranger, is CrashPlan seems to plan the crash. It always happens near or on the hour.

Can anyone with CrashPlan installed check their system uptime for anomalies? The console does not tell me much. I can just see that it's rebooted which is also represented in a gap in disk/CPU/RAM activity. What is weirder is that sometimes it looks as if the server takes 50 minutes to come back.

It's always late at night. Perhaps I need to reinstall the plugin after the numerous updates that were put through recently.

As a side note, I'm getting inconsistent reports from CrashPlan and they seem to be removing data or CrashPlan decides to remove it.

I had 2.5TB backed up and upon returning in the morning the UI and CrashPlan Central reported 1.8TB and apparently it had 5 days to go instead of 3. I can confirm the same thing through the daily CrashPlan email report too.

Any thoughts are appreciated. :)

ethebubbeth

Cadet
It sounds like the crashplan java process is blowing up due to it hitting the memory cap for the jvm. This happened to me. I had to keep upping it until I, unfortunately, hit the proecss size limit for the 32bit linux emulation jail. I will have to wait for 64 bit linux emulation in BSD10, hopefully it's makes its way into FreeNAS and the new crashplan plugin in Freenas 10...

ethebubbeth

Cadet
The file I'm referring to editing is at:
/usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/bin/run.conf

SRV_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx2048m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"GUI_JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.PollSelectorProvider -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanDesktop -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false"

You have to edit the -Xmx value, which sets the max memory usage for the JVM process. I think it starts at something like 1024mb. The max you can set is just south of 4gb since it's a 32bit linux emulation jail.

David3D

Explorer
It sounds like the crashplan java process is blowing up due to it hitting the memory cap for the jvm. This happened to me. I had to keep upping it until I, unfortunately, hit the proecss size limit for the 32bit linux emulation jail. I will have to wait for 64 bit linux emulation in BSD10, hopefully it's makes its way into FreeNAS and the new crashplan plugin in Freenas 10...
Bugger.

I think I remember trying to up the memory and after modifications the plugin wouldn't start. I'll try again and report results.
It's a shame really because I like having it all in one box. I don't really want to use another server just for CrashPlan, but will if FreeNAS keeps crashing like this.

Thanks for reminding me! :)

EDIT: Was set to 2048 and I tried 3584 but the plugin wont start. What was the absolute max you set it to?

Last edited:

David3D

Explorer
Possibly fixed. Dropped it down to 3072 and it's working.

I wonder what I can do to prevent the crash in the meantime otherwise? Stopping and starting the plug-in? Restarting the machine nicely once or twice per day?

Status
Not open for further replies.