CPU replacement on existing FreeNAS box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenalunWil

Contributor
I've recently built myself a FreeNAS box running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5-release x64.
the build is X10SL7-f mobo, E3-1230v3 cpu, LSI flashed to IT, 7 x 1TB HDD running in raidz3.
Everything was fine, made some datasets and set up CIFS shares and could access those files from my windows 7 computer. Switched on smart tests, scrubs and snap shots. I did not set up any plugins.

I decided to re-place the E3-1230v3 cpu with a Pentium duel core G3220 and at the same time I decided to start from scratch again and re-set everything back to factory default removing all previous information, which I did prior to fitting the new CPU. I entered the bios of the new cpu and disabled XHCI and XHCI mode. I restarted FreeNAS with the new cpu in place however all my HDDs have vanished. How do I get the volume manager to see the hard drives.

Wil

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You sure you didn't accidentally disable AHCI mode? That definitely has an impact on when the disks are detected or not in FreeNAS.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Thanks for the reply cj... The AHCI mode is enabled, but my 7 HDDs are attached to the X10SL7-F's on board LSI 2308 controller. I checked to see if it was still flashed to IT and it is. I was just wondering if there was a conflict between the new Pentium G3220 and this on-board controller. I can't see why that would be tho'.

PenalunWil

Contributor
I powered down the nas box and reconnected 5 HDDs to the X10SL7-F's own SATA connectors and then rebooted to find that the hard drives are still not visible. Think I'll re-format the flash Drive and replace the FreeNAS OS. If that don't work then I'm thinking....re-format the hard drives? Is it possible that FreeNAS OS is picking up something on the HDDs from the previous NAS setup?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think we'd better slow down for a second.

Define "hard drives are still not visible"?

Does that mean they aren't seen in the BIOS? They aren't seen when you do 'camcontrol devlist'? The pool isn't mounting? What is your definition for the disks not being "visible"?

If they aren't showing up in camcontrol devlist then the OS isn't detected your controller or your hard drives aren't being detected by the controller(someone forget to power on the disks?).

PenalunWil

Contributor
Hi cj, Yes they are not seen in the motherboard BIOS. I'm using the IPMI, the LSI 2308 BIOS boots up and after that I hit F11 to go into the mobo BIOS. The sata drives 0 to 5 are there empty which is correct but I can't find the on board LSI 2308 in any of the BIOS settings. Obviously they are also not showing in the FreeNAS volume manager when FreeNAS is running.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If they're not in your BIOS and not in "camcontrol devlist" then I'd say that you have some kind of serious problem. Either you don't have power to your disks, they've *all* failed due to some problem, your controllers are suddenly f'ed up, or the equivalent. Basically you are going to have to figure out what common failure mode applies to your situation and rule them all out.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd start by figuring out whether the LSI2308 is being detected by FreeNAS.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If I'm not mistaken the LSI2308 will not load itself if it doesn't detect a disk attached. ;)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Another thing, is it possible you broke the CPU socket and some of your PCIe lanes aren't working anymore so you can't see your hardware? ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If I'm not mistaken the LSI2308 will not load itself if it doesn't detect a disk attached. ;)

What a great way to make debugging easier. /s
That sounds like it goes against the PCI standard.

In that case, I'd check for loose cables on the PSU. We can rule that out if you hear the disks spinning (if you don't, it might be because the LSI2308 didn't talk to them, so we can't draw any conclusions right away).

Can you clarify if the controller's boot ROM is installed, PenalunWil? If so, can you get in? (If Cyberjock's right about the LSI2308 not powering on if nothing's attached, it might not mean much either if you can't...).

I'd also check the jumpers, the X10SL7-F is full of them (check the manual), in particular the SAS_enable jumper (or some similar name).

Any chance you can try the disks (at least one of them) in another computer?

Another thing, is it possible you broke the CPU socket and some of your PCIe lanes aren't working anymore so you can't see your hardware? ;)

That'd be atypical, most often it's the memory that starts having problems. However, it could explain why neither the LSI controller or the PCH can see the drives, since the PCH's data link is a glorified PCI-e 4x link...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That sounds like it goes against the PCI standard.

I've had several controllers from different brands exhibit this behavior so I don't assume it will work on bootup unless a disk is attached.

That'd be atypical, most often it's the memory that starts having problems. However, it could explain why neither the LSI controller or the PCH can see the drives, since the PCH's data link is a glorified PCI-e 4x link...

Yeah, that's why I thought I'd mention it. I agree that normally it's memory problems but in this case maybe he messed up the socket. It was just an idea since everything worked, he replaced the CPU, and then things stopped working.

PenalunWil

Contributor
Here's a start...

I don't think so.. I was careful to make sure that the CPU sat in position with the little arrows lined up and sitting within the designated area prior to closing the flap.

here's the "camcontrol devlist" not sure if I did this correctly by typing it into the shell.

[root@freenas ~]# [root@freenas ~]# "camcontrol devlist" bash: camcontrol devlist: command not found [root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist <Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 PMAP> at scbus8 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0) [root@freenas ~]#

I've got the 7 HDD populating two Icy Box back planes and the power light is on to both of them and also the blue lights are on for every hard drive. I can also hear them spin up when I switch on. I did notice that one of the power leads was a little loose (there are two molex connectors to each Icy Box).

In the Mobo BIOS the CPU has been recognised and also the correct amount of RAM is showing. Also all the voltages, temperatures and fan sensors in the IPMI are functioning and look normal.

Can you clarify if the controller's boot ROM is installed, PenalunWil? If so, can you get in? (If Cyberjock's right about the LSI2308 not powering on if nothing's attached, it might not mean much either if you can't...).

[/quote]
I've searched for boot ROM in the LSI BIOS but didn't find this information. I did notice that the boot status in the LSI BIOS was set at "0". I'm not sure if this is of any significance.

I'd start by figuring out whether the LSI2308 is being detected by FreeNAS.
How would I go about doing this?
I have got these errors cropping up....
Jun 7 16:02:41 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 0000000800C2FD60 freenas.local. (Addr) that's already in the list
Jun 7 16:02:41 freenas mDNSResponder: mDNS_Register_internal: ERROR!! Tried to register AuthRecord 0000000800C30180 91.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. (PTR) that's already in the list
Final I'd like to mention that I am a total noob so it could be something very obvious to the trained eye that I am missing.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'd recommend you reinstall the original CPU if you have exhausted all the easier stuff.

PenalunWil

Contributor
You sure you didn't accidentally disable AHCI mode? That definitely has an impact on when the disks are detected or not in FreeNAS.

Also connecting the cables to the SAS sockets on the Icy Box back planes instead of connecting them to the SATA sockets :oops: yeppers a typical NOOB mistake, and yes... I feel a total Numpty. What an elemental fundamental cock-up to make.

There are two sockets per HDD on the Icy Box one for SATA and one for SAS. I used the yellow SAS socket when I should have been using the black SATA sockets.

I just switched all the cables to the correct SATA sockets on the Icy Boxes and guess what... I have my NAS box back. All the drives are showing on the LSI and I also checked out the mobo SATA's and they show up to.

My apologies to you all for the run around and very big thank you for your help. All I hope is that one day this thread may help some poor Newbie like me sort out what he may think is a catastrophe, and inform the world that we have another Numpty in our mist. :) :rolleyes:

Wil

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Also connecting the cables to the SAS sockets on the Icy Box back planes instead of connecting them to the SATA sockets :oops: yeppers a typical NOOB mistake, and yes... I feel a total Numpty. What an elemental fundamental cock-up to make.

There are two sockets per HDD on the Icy Box one for SATA and one for SAS. I used the yellow SAS socket when I should have been using the black SATA sockets.

I just switched all the cables to the correct SATA sockets on the Icy Boxes and guess what... I have my NAS box back. All the drives are showing on the LSI and I also checked out the mobo SATA's and they show up to.

My apologies to you all for the run around and very big thank you for your help. All I hope is that one day this thread may help some poor Newbie like me sort out what he may think is a catastrophe, and inform the world that we have another Numpty in our mist. :) :rolleyes:

Wil

Interesting, if I get those HDD cages, I'll have to remember that detail.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are fired PenalunWil. 5 demerits!

PenalunWil

Contributor
You are fired PenalunWil. 5 demerits!

What no 100 lashes or keel hauled....???? and only 5 demerits... damn I got off lightly there... ;)

Mind you.. I'm a lot happier today.... when you said I may have broken the CPU socket I was thinking... that's at least $400.00 plus dollars down the pan, and I don't have a NAS box either.

Goes to show a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.