Couple of questions if you don't mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokie

Explorer
Hi everyone

Before I ask the couple of questions let me just explain my setup. I'm new to Freenas and so far I am enjoying the experience of building something myself. I currently have Freenas 9.2 running on a dell poweredge 1950 server, 16G ECC memor installed and I only have two 2TB drives. I had set it all up before putting it away safe in my attic, to avoid the buzzing fans..

My first dilema is that I didnt set my machine to a static IP, Can I set a static one from the GUI or is my only option to get back up to the attic with a monitor? Also can I set my jails to a static IP aswell?

My second one is that the server has two gigabit cards, However according to my router it is only connecting at 10\100 and not gigabit. Is this a problem with freenas or would it be my fault? Maybe there is something I am missing.

Thanks in advance

Smokie

Explorer
I also have question regarding DLNA, How are people viewing videos ect that they have on there machine? I have a Samsung smart tv that picks up my iomega ix200 drive, It can see all the media.
What options do I have with Freenas?

sremick

Patron
1) Try browsing/pinging freenas.local which is the default initial hostname. Setting a static IP is still a good idea though as a backup.

2) If your router is only 10/100 then your server isn't going to connect any faster than that. Bad/cheap cables can also reduce your link speeds.

2) FreeNAS itself is just a NAS server, providing low-level file services to other things. For serving media, you either run something that provides that higher-level service. Plex is pretty popular. You can either run Plex Media Server on a separate computer that then looks to the FreeNAS server for its files, or if you have enough horsepower in the FreeNAS server you can try running it in a jail. It all depends on your comfort level, skill level, hardware, and how you'll be using Plex (transcoding needs, etc).

Smokie

Explorer
Cheers for the swift reply mate.

I would just prefer to have a static ip so I can keep an eye on things more easily. Can I set it to static from the web gui?

I am connected to a gigabit switch so its not the hardware, I will possibbly double check my cabling in case that might be the issue.

I was thinking of putting Plex in a jail as I know the xbox one now has a plex app.

I have also just set up dynamic dns on the server via noip.com I can ping the dns name and it resolves to my external ip immediatly but I cant connect via the url, has anyone had any issues using no ip?

Thanks again

sremick

Patron
I would just prefer to have a static ip so I can keep an eye on things more easily. Can I set it to static from the web gui?

Yes:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_network.html#interfaces

I was thinking of putting Plex in a jail as I know the xbox one now has a plex app.
I recommend using a generic jail then setting up PMS manually inside of it to make upgrades easier. It only takes learning some basic FreeBSD command-line stuff.

I have also just set up dynamic dns on the server via noip.com I can ping the dns name and it resolves to my external ip immediatly but I cant connect via the url, has anyone had any issues using no ip?
I don't think you'll find many people who recommend making your FreeNAS server exposed to the internet. In my setup, it's my router that uses a dynamic IP service and then I VPN in to my router via OpenVPN. Only after I have that secure connection established do I connect to my FreeNAS server. This requires no special setup on the FreeNAS box itself as once you're connected by VPN you access it the same way as if you were local.

Smokie

Explorer
Yes:
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_network.html#interfaces

I recommend using a generic jail then setting up PMS manually inside of it to make upgrades easier. It only takes learning some basic FreeBSD command-line stuff.

I don't think you'll find many people who recommend making your FreeNAS server exposed to the internet. In my setup, it's my router that uses a dynamic IP service and then I VPN in to my router via OpenVPN. Only after I have that secure connection established do I connect to my FreeNAS server. This requires no special setup on the FreeNAS box itself as once you're connected by VPN you access it the same way as if you were local.

That was the setup I was trying to get. I am currently getting the files ready to flash my netgear wndr3700 with a firmware that allows open vpn. So your saying your router is setup for a dynamic IP, Does open wrt firmware allow this? IS the setup hard?

Is there a guide for it? Also is there a guide for setting up a generic jail for what I would require. This is all new to me and I dont know what PMS stands for lol :smile:

Thanks Again

sremick

Patron
So you're saying your router is setup for a dynamic IP
Yes.

Does open wrt firmware allow this? IS the setup hard?
I wouldn't know. I don't use OpenWRT. That'd be a question for them if you can't find it already answered in their documentation:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/start

Also is there a guide for setting up a generic jail for what I would require.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/tutorial-how-to-install-plex-in-a-jail.19412/

This is all new to me and I dont know what PMS stands for

Plex Media Server, to distinguish the server from all the other Plex components.

Status
Not open for further replies.