Cost Effective Rack Mount Storage Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
I need two rack mount storage servers. One will hold archive files and the other backup files. Speed is not the issue. Would like something that is cost effective to purchase and has moderate energy costs. Prefer SuperMicro or Dell. New or used. I read the Hardware Guide but can't quite get to the point of selecting specific optimum hardware for this application.

From some long ago retired HP Blade Servers, BL490c G7, I have a number of each of the the following parts that could be used if not too out of date:
- 8GB sticks Samsung 2Rx4 PC3l - 10600R - 09 - 10 - E1 - P1 DDR3 Registered RAM
- Intel Xeon 6 core 2.66GHz/1333/12M, HP # 594884-001 (X5650 and I think they use SOCKET-LGA(1366))

Would like for the servers to hold about 8 or 12, 3.5" drives each. Will likely run RAIDZ2. Will probably start with 4TB WD Red drives.

Any suggestions on accomplishing this cost and energy efficiently? Thanks in advance.

sfcredfox

Patron
When I was doing this same thing a while ago, I ended up focusing more on the CPU than anything else. May I suggest that's where you start...

I switched from using an HP DL380G5 (dual socket 2U system) to SuperMicro with Intel L5520s. The lower power CPU cut down my energy costs a good bit and CPU utalization still does't go above 20%. I wish I could remove one of the CPUs without cutting the memory down. Similiarly, for ESXi servers, I was using HP G5's and switched to HP G7's with L5640's. Cut power usage from ~320 watts to ~140 watts. That translated into really decent savings per month in electricity. My point for mentioning is this: You could likely use a lower power CPU (Intel L series) for a NAS machine and still be just fine, workload depending. It would save you some money in the long run if that's what you're interested in.

I know you're interested in re-using some of those CPUs from blades, but consider using some L series CPUs if you think they'll handle your workload and the return on investment in cost savings justifies buying something rather than re-using. Also the used market if your business needs support that...

As for drive capacity:
I think most (HP/Dell) 1U and 2U servers will hold 8-12 drives (2.5"), but sometimes require selecting that as an option. I'm an HP guy (sorry, I know you prefer dell) and you can either choose 4 drives and DVD drive, or add an optional backplane part that enabled the other four drive slots and remove the DVD drive. Not sure if Dell does this also. The downside of using most Dell/HP for the controller is their heavy use of 2.5" drives. HP has a 2U G8 model that takes 3.5 inch, but I don't know about Dell. I'm sure you already know the cost differences between 2.5" and 3.5" drives versus capacity. Not sure if that matters to you.

SuperMicro was my choice of controller since they had an abundance of 2U chassis that are 12 bay 3.5" drives. You really need to research the backplanes though. Most are directly cabled drive slots, it's harder to find the SAS expander backplanes. Depending on what you want to do and your intended max drives, this might matter to you. There are a bunch of posts around here that might explain SuperMicro options better than me.

Here's another option: Select any system you want that has enough PCIe slots for future use (additional HBAs, NICs, FC HBAs, PCI/NVEs, etc) and then use an external drive enclosure for the drives. Takes up more room and uses additional power supplies, so that might not be the route you want to go, it's just an option if you don't want to be restricted to the drive types of the controller chassis.

My system is comprised of a 2U SuperMicro chassis with 12 6G 3.5 inch drive bays as the controller, another SuperMicro 2U chassis with 12 3G bays for an additional enclosure, and an HP D2700 which is a 2.5" 25 6G bay enclosure. Gives me all the drive expansion I wanted, but was really cheap to acquire on ebay.

Maybe that helps?

Inxsible

Guru
Any suggestions on accomplishing this cost and energy efficiently?
Are you looking for pre-built servers or are you ok with building it with parts yourself? If you do want to re-use the parts that you currently have, building it yourself might give you more options when purchasing from Ebay.

If the latter : here are a few chassis to start --
  1. Supermicro 2U with 8 drive bays-TQ backplane -- $99
  2. Supermicro 2U with 12 drive bays - A backplane -- $185
  3. Supermicro 2U with 12 drive bays - SAS2-EL1 backplane -- $314.99
chassis with the A-backplane are hard to find, but the good thing is that you are not limited to SAS1 or SAS2. You could do the same with a TQ backplane, but with larger chassis (12/16/24) drives -- that means a lot of SATA cables creating a rat's nest. With the A-backplane, you can use SAS connections, but it is still a pass-through like the TQ. Pair any of the above with a Supermicro X8/X9 gen board that takes RDIMMs and you are golden.

The following 2 X8 series support both your RAM and CPU. They are both DP boards, however which I feel is unwanted for archiving and backup. They are also both E-ATX. But I am sure if you look hard enough, you can find an ATX UP board that supports the RAM and CPU that you have.
  1. X8DTE-F
  2. X8DT6
You could likely use a lower power CPU (Intel L series) for a NAS machine and still be just fine, workload depending.
Well, workload depending, even a Pentium would suffice which would save you a ton of money in terms of cost and power draw.

Last edited:

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Thank you both for the very helpful input. It sounds as though there are some real pitfalls to reusing this older equipment.

If I do not reuse the old processors and memory, what would folks recommend to achieve the stated requirements?

sfcredfox

Patron
Well, workload depending, even a Pentium would suffice which would save you a ton of money in terms of cost and power draw.
Ha ha, good point. I guess I was thinking in terms of staying in xeon server processor classes...

sfcredfox

Patron
what would folks recommend to achieve the stated requirements?
Well, there's I bunch of posts where people talk about the new e3/e5 lines, some people use desktop processors like i3/5s.

The zeon L series is what I chose, but newer stuff is probably more costly, but more efficient. I don't have much of a more useful answer, sorry

Stux

MVP
Newer stuff idles at the same usage as the throttled versions. Ie I don’t think L/T processors make sense post-haswell unless you are thermally constrained.

Nehalem was a pig.

Inxsible

Guru
If I do not reuse the old processors and memory, what would folks recommend to achieve the stated requirements?
That really depends on
  1. Your location
  2. Your Max budget
And even then, there might be a compromise or two.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Sorry for the delay in responding. Location is USA. Max budget is hard to determine. Least cost based on requirements:
Rack mount. Would like for the servers to hold about 8 or 12, 3.5" drives each. Will likely run RAIDZ2. Will probably start with 4TB WD Red drives. To be used for backup and file storage. I presume that the cost would be in the $1,000 - $2,000 range.

sfcredfox

Patron
It's my opinion that the Super Micro product offerings may serve you best. They have 2U 12 bay and 4U 24 bay options. Their boards are server quality, offer IPMI options, and are widely used by the community.

Inxsible

Guru
Sorry for the delay in responding. Location is USA. Max budget is hard to determine. Least cost based on requirements:
Rack mount. Would like for the servers to hold about 8 or 12, 3.5" drives each. Will likely run RAIDZ2. Will probably start with 4TB WD Red drives. To be used for backup and file storage. I presume that the cost would be in the $1,000 - $2,000 range.
Look for any X9 based boards on ebay. You could put a supported Pentium or base Xeon on it and it will do fine for backup and file storage. Both those use cases are not processor intensive.

X9SCM-F, X9SCL-F etc.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Thanks! I will look into this further.

Status
Not open for further replies.