Cores versus clock speed

Manyakus

Dabbler
Does your E5-2650 v2 struggle when you fast forward or skip back when streaming to your TV?
My E5-2640 v2 is fine as long as you leave the streaming uninterrupted, but the minute I fast forward or want to replay a scene, I need to wait at least 10 seconds for the transcoding to catch up. These setback are noticeable on 1080p mkv movies that are 4GB and bigger.

Neojim

Cadet
Not a reply more of an inquiry. Found this string while I was looking for CPU information. I currently have a server with TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.2
Server has 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz and 32 GB of memory. Storage is not a factor for this, but they are spinning rust 5400rpm.
I want to use this server for something else and will be replacing it with a server with the following: 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2420 1.9ghz and 48GB. How much of a difference in throughput will I see. I'm only using this server as a NAS for just a small number of clients 4 to be exact. Network storage and scheduled backups. Any input?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It really depends on if you are doing anything ELSE with it besides just serving a network share. It used to be more important to have a few fast cores (8 to 10) than to have a lot of slow cores. I wouldn't build a NAS with the 1.9 GHz processor. Also, because ZFS usees RAM for caching, I would go for more memory. I have been using the same hardware for years now, and I don't see any reason to change at the moment.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer