Core 13.0-U5.1 loads into bios before first boot, can't finish install.

yarmit

Cadet
After install and removing installation media, I am just booted into my BIOS.

My system:
  • Intel i7-12700K
  • MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4
  • RIPJAWS V 2x8gb DDR4-3200
  • Crucial P3 PCIe 3.0 M.2 2280 500gb
  • My installation media is a SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 32gb with an TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1 ISO burned with Rufus-4.1_x86
I plug the USB into a USB 3.0 slot, and start the system. It loads into the TrueNAS Installer and I select 1. Boot TrueNAS Installer.

TrueNAS 13.0-U5.1 Console Setup, again I select 1 Install/Upgrade. I choose my Crucial drive and select fresh install, and format the boot device.

I choose Boot via UEFI (my MB won't boot into CSM w/o a dedicated graphics card). I'm unsure if I should create a swap or not, but its a 500gb drive so I create a swap.
The TrueNAS installation on nvd0 succeeded!
P
lease reboot and remove the installation media.

Now weather I select reboot system and take out the USB or shut down the system and remove the USB, when the computer comes back on it's the same result.

A small box of command line (well smaller than the command line from installation) appears in the center of the screen and scrolls through faster then I can hope to read any of it. Then I'm plopped right into my systems BIOS.

I limited my boot order to just UEFI Hard Disk: UEFI OS (CT500P3SSD8) and UEFI USB KEY. My BIOS is up to date with the latest version.

Even if I try to 'Boot Override' into my Crucial drive it's just a repeat of command line and BIOS.

The crucial is my boot drive from a system I made from an old PC I had laying around. I bought the drive and put the system together last month and am now upgrading. With it coming out of a system I had running yesterday it should be working.

The Crucial is PCIe 3 in a PCIe 4 slot not sure if that makes a difference. In the BIOS it's set to automatically adjust. Any ideas about what to try would be appreciated.

yarmit

Cadet
So I figured it out. Unbeknownst to me, my motherboard (probably like many now, thanks to windows 11) had a BIOS update around a year ago to have secure boot on by default. The secure boot option was grayed out when I finally discovered it and I was unable to change it. MSI did not mention how to turn it off in the manual nor could I find any resources online to change it. So I reverted to the BIOS update right before they implemented the secure boot change. My system rebooted after the flash and loaded right into TrueNAS Core.

I hope this can help someone else in the future.
Make sure secure boot isn't on by default.