Connecting iSCSI throug NAT router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis2002

Dabbler
I have placed my FreeNas behind an NAT router. I have created the following portmappings 3260 and 3261 to the NAS.
When I now connect from a Windows 2008 server I see the target ont the portal. But I can’t connect. I recive the following error on windows “Error occurred when processing iSCSI logon request. The request was not retried. Error status is given in the dump data.”

At this moment I have disabled all auth. methods to exclude something is going wrong there.

Has anyone any idea how to solve this.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Lewis2002,

I would think the solution is not to do it that way.

Don't put a router between 2 systems using iscsi.

-Will

Lewis2002

Dabbler
I Want to use it over internet and have not the possibility to use VPN. So I have to use routers….

Before FreeNas I used an Windows 2003 sever with iStorage. And that works perfect in the same router configuration.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Lewis2002,

You want to run iscsi remotely?

No no no no no....bad idea, can't help further for fear that might be construed as a good idea.

Why on earth don't you just ssh\sftp into the filer to get at your files?

-Will

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, that may be true, but there are legitimate reasons someone might do it too.

I'll just say "this should work" and that the answer probably lies in the logs of the FreeNAS server or the initiator; try looking at the logs on both sides to identify why it isn't linking up.

Lewis2002

Dabbler
Oh I see it. You must click on the footer. I see now an incoming connection from my iSCSI client. But nothing else. Also not any error… :-(

Lewis2002

Dabbler
I have now created a VPN tunnel and then it works. But when I use NAT and map port 3260 then it doesn’t works anymore. It seems that the client doesn’t get response from the FreeNas target.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Then it sounds like something isn't being translated by NAT correctly.

Lewis2002

Dabbler
I don’t think so. Because when I replace the freenas with a Windows 2003 server with istorage then it works perfect. But I have solved it by using a VPN connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.