Confusing SSH Public Key in GUI

mpfusion

Contributor
Confusing SSH Public Key in GUI

Code:
Accounts/Users → root → Authentication → SSH Public Key

This is not root's public key on my system, but it contains a list of public keys and appears to be /root/.ssh/authorized_keys. Is this correct or a misconfiguration on my end?

And the button

Code:
Accounts/Users → root → “Download SSH Public Key”

does in fact download the authorized keys file instead of the public key of root. Is this correct behaviour? If yes, the terminology is very confusing. A public key and the authorized list of public keys is something completely different.

If I go to root → “Download SSH Public Key” I expect to download root's public key.

Is this how it's supposed to be or a misconfiguration on my system?

TrueNAS-13.0.U2

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is an account management screen, and the SSH public key field is for someone setting up SSH access to root's account. So it's always intended to hold the authorized_keys public key of whomever is SSHing to root's account.

mpfusion

Contributor
Ok, then it's configured correctly. The terminology used is in my opinion wrong and confusing:

It should be called “Authorized Keys” not “Public Key”. When clicking “Download SSH Public Key” I expect the public key to be downloaded, so it can be added to some other host's authorized_keys file. But that's not what happens.

Thanks for clarifying.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
If you feel strongly about it, click the "Report a Bug" link to raise awareness with the developers. This is how you address UI annoyances like this.