Configuring a Powerwalker UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaimieV

Guru
I've just been setting up a Freenas 8.3-RELEASE on an HP Microserver N40L/6gig/3x2Tb for a friend. He has a UPS with a USB connection for power status etc.

The UPS is a PowerWalker VI 850 LCD/UK, and is recognised by FreeNAS (after a lot of experimentation to work out the matching name of the USB slot it was plugged into!) and driven by the blazer_usb driver.

That all seems to recognise ok, but after a few minutes we get "poll failed, not connected" (not an exact quote, sorry - I'm not at the machine now). The UPS works fine with monitoring etc using the Windows software.

Over in the FreeNAS UPS setup panel is a "UPS Master User Password" field, with a preset setting of "fixmepass". Is this something we should set properly? It can't be left empty, and we have no clues at all as to what its correct value is.

Otherwise ... help on diagnosing? First thing I'd like to do is test that the UPS is really there and readable over USB.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
UPS support is "iffy". It may or may not work. The advice that we give 99% of UPS questions is to experiment and try to figure out what works, if it will work. Alot of UPSes just won't work in FreeBSD.

The password is for UPSes that are password protected. It does nothing if your UPS doesn't use that function.

paleoN

Wizard
According to the NUT HCL the PowerWalker VI 850 is supported and blazer_usb is the appropriate driver. At least for the latest version of NUT.

Perhaps a read through of 6. Configuration notes would be worthwhile? This command looked interesting:
Code:
upsc myupsname@localhost
You might need to specify the full path to upsc.

dulo

Cadet
I just installed a PowerWalker 2200 VI with blazer_usb.
In the beginning I lost the connection to the ups after 15 minutes, but with the pollinterval=15 setting it seems to be fixed
UPS is up and running for 24 hours now without loosing connection. ( using freenas 9.2.1 )

moviefan

Cadet
hi dulo, got a writeup on what you did? would love to get a copy. Have a new VI 1500 LCD and am stuck

Redcoat

MVP
hi dulo, got a writeup on what you did? would love to get a copy. Have a new VI 1500 LCD and am stuck
Dulo was last seen here on March 24, 2104 ... Maybe you should describe here what you have done so far and on what specifically you are stuck.

moviefan

Cadet
Dulo was last seen here on March 24, 2104 ... Maybe you should describe here what you have done so far and on what specifically you are stuck.
thanks i will.. got sidetracked by workstuff, well come back when i have time to try once more

Status
Not open for further replies.