Configuration Check - First Build

Cromulent1

Cadet
Hi All,
I had planned on using my old workstation as a basis for my first NAS build, but after reading the FreeNAS Community Hardware Guide realized that it wasn't a good idea. I currently have a Synology 5 bay NAS that primarily acts as an iSCSI target for my Plex Server. It works fine but I'm running out of space and really like the idea behind FreeNAS. I'm still not 100% sure if I've got everything I need but this is what I have come up with:

Motherboard - (1) - Supermicro Motherboard Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 X11SSL-CF-O
CPU - (1) - Intel Xeon E3-1230 v6 Quad-Core Kaby Lake Processor 3.5GHz 8.0GT/s 8MB LGA 1151 CPU, OEM Model CM8067702870650
RAM - (4) - Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin Memory - CT16G4DFD824A
Case - (1) - SilverStone Technology Premium Mini-Itx/DTX Small Form Factor NAS Computer Case, Black DS380B-USA Newest Version (SST-DS380B-USA)
Power Supply - (1) - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular, ECO Mode with DBB Fan, 7 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, SFX Form Factor, Power Supply 123-GM-0650-Y1
Data Drives - (7) - HGST Ultrastar DC HC520 HDD 12TB 7200 RPM SAS 12Gb/s Interface 3.5-Inch 512e ISE Helium Data Center Enterprise Internal Hard Disk Drive HUH721212AL5200 (0F29530)
Boot Drive - (1) - SanDisk SSD PLUS Internal SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 530 MB/s - SDSSDA-120G-G27 (120GB)

I'll add a low profile cpu cooler if the stock one doesn't fit. And SAS/SATA cables

Questions I still have:
I noticed that 5400 RPM SATA drives are recommended in the Hardware Guide.
The motherboard supports both SAS and SATA and the case has both SAS and SATA backplanes
For this build are SAS drives overkill? I wouldn't be saving any money buying 12TB WD Red 5400 SATA III drives. Are there any drawbacks to using the HGST SAS drives in this case?
Is there anything else I should be considering for this build?
Extra fans?
Power Supply big enough?

Thanks for your help

Inxsible

Guru
@Cromulent1 Does everything have to be new hardware? I feel I have said this a lot in my recent posts, but getting used gear can save you a ton of money -- especially if you are in North America.

Everything in your list is overkill for a simple file server. Describe your use case and you would probably get more relevant answers.

Yorick

Wizard
RAM is overkill for your use case and, why not. As you say, you want an mATX case. Motherboard and CPU are a good choice. You are choosing to keep Plex external and do hardware transcode there, or move Plex to FreeNAS and not do hardware transcode. If you wanted to make a different choice, you'd need to adjust the motherboard and CPU choice.

> I noticed that 5400 RPM SATA drives are recommended in the Hardware Guide.

Because heat, and because most home users configure a single vdev and run a Gbit Ethernet connection. One vdev of 5400 rpm can serve a GBit connection without slowdown.

Cromulent1

Cadet
@Cromulent1 Does everything have to be new hardware? I feel I have said this a lot in my recent posts, but getting used gear can save you a ton of money -- especially if you are in North America.

Everything in your list is overkill for a simple file server. Describe your use case and you would probably get more relevant answers.
Thanks for the quick response. No, everything doesn't need to be new hardware. I just included the amazon links because it was recommended in the posting guide. I would likely source on ebay / craigslist and the like. This will be primarily used to store media files, but I would like the option and room to grow into other functionality.

Cromulent1

Cadet
RAM is overkill for your use case and, why not. As you say, you want an mATX case. Motherboard and CPU are a good choice. You are choosing to keep Plex external and do hardware transcode there, or move Plex to FreeNAS and not do hardware transcode. If you wanted to make a different choice, you'd need to adjust the motherboard and CPU choice.

> I noticed that 5400 RPM SATA drives are recommended in the Hardware Guide.

Because heat, and because most home users configure a single vdev and run a Gbit Ethernet connection. One vdev of 5400 rpm can serve a GBit connection without slowdown.
Thanks for the response. I am planning on keeping my Plex server where it is so no transcoding on the NAS. As for the RAM, I just used the rule of thumb in the hardware guide, but it sounds like for a simple file server I could get away with half that. I'm not overly concerned about the heat. The NAS is going to live in a rack with dedicated cooling, so as long as that's working I should be ok.

Inxsible

Guru
See this post for an idea of the kind of server that will do basic file server functions. My server (see signature) is also basic and functions as a file server and Emby media server capable of transcoding 1 stream. I use a Pentium G3240 and it is more than capable of performing the job without the excess power consumption as compared to a Xeon chip.

anmnz

Patron