Confguring vlan bridging to a jail

willsm

Cadet
Hi folks,

We have a production TrueNAS in operation and I recently decided I wanted to run the Asigra backup plugin.

The installation and configuration of the plugin went fine, no issue.

What I am not well practised in is configuring the networking so thata particular vlan is passed through to the jail containing Asigra.

1651232676894.png

Looking at the above, vlan 255 is the already configured address and it has an IP assigned to it. All backup traffic and mgmt go to this address.

The switch port upstream is configured as trunk and passes vlan 208 and 255 through.

My aim here is to pass vlan208 through to the jail and assign the Asigra instance an address on the vlan208.

I have tried adding a bridge interface and adding the vlan208 interface as a member but this fails like so:

1651232897137.png

When I apply the above I get:

1651232954751.png

I know I am doing something fundamentally wrong here, can someone help me with this? I've read that you shouldn't assign an address directly to a vlan interface, which was done by someone else for vlan255. Do I need to remove the address on vlan255 interface and assign that to a bridge, then try making the bridge with vlan208 in it?

If it helps, I actually assigned address to the vlan208 address a day or so ago and all backups failed as a result and the vault became unreachable to hosts on vlan255. I am guessing TrueNAS didn't know which interface to use in its routing.. So I do not want to make the same mistake again.