Command to check S.M.A.R.T.

denaba

Explorer
I am on TrueNAS 12.0-U4.1. I came from the last freenas where all my settings appear to have been upgraded to the new TrueNAS. I have two things scheduled;
scrub pool
run S.M.A.R.T.

Now when the scrub pool runs and gets done I get the notification at the top which I open and viola, it says it completed the task on the day of the schedule.

But I was noticing (and I do not remember if in FreeNAS did this) that I do not see a notification that S.M.A.R.T. ran.
Q1 - is this by design? Looked in the forums (I could have missed it), but no thread on this
Q2 - if there is no porting of the details to the notification then is there a command I can run in the shell to ask if it ran and if so, was good or bad?

Thank you

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Look under System->Alert Settings, and then scroll down to find the Hardware section. By design, TrueNAS only alerts on S.M.A.R.T. errors, not successful tests.

To view the test status, you'll have to run smartctl -a on each disk device, e.g., smartctl -a /dev/ada0.

denaba

Explorer
Hey Samuel, sorry for the late response. Thank you for that bit of information. I will use that command to see the information.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I am on TrueNAS 12.0-U4.1. I came from the last freenas where all my settings appear to have been upgraded to the new TrueNAS. I have two things scheduled;
scrub pool
run S.M.A.R.T.

Now when the scrub pool runs and gets done I get the notification at the top which I open and viola, it says it completed the task on the day of the schedule.

But I was noticing (and I do not remember if in FreeNAS did this) that I do not see a notification that S.M.A.R.T. ran.
Q1 - is this by design? Looked in the forums (I could have missed it), but no thread on this
Q2 - if there is no porting of the details to the notification then is there a command I can run in the shell to ask if it ran and if so, was good or bad?

Thank you
You can install the smart_report.sh script from this GitHub repository:

And schedule it as a cron job. It will email you a daily report on the SMART status of your drives.