Cloning a VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

anderstn

Dabbler
Hi

Straight off the bat I should say that I am aware that this is not supported as I have read through the FreeNAS VM documentation and created a VM for test purposes already. However I was wondering if there was a way of doing it that was semi automated. For instance can I create a similar virtual machine and a datastore and then just copy the files from the old datastore to this new one? The point here is to create a template for the operating systems I usually use with some quality of life features pre-installed (for instance SSH on Linux). The thing is I am brand new to FreeNAS and FreeBSD so a guide explaining how to go about this would be lovely.

NB: I am aware that there are some things I need to change after the fact (like the MAC address of the nic and the VNC port) but I'm not entirely sure if there is anything that needs changing in the virtual machine itself outside of the obvious stuff such as the hostname.

Can anybody affirm if what I'm planning is even doable and if so point me in the direction of such a guide or explain the basics?

D

dlavigne

This feature is coming in 11.1 (BETA1 should be out on Monday).

anderstn

Dabbler
This feature is coming in 11.1 (BETA1 should be out on Monday).

I see. I'm guessing once that is out of Beta upgrading from 11.0-U4 to 11.1 will be a fairly straightforward process. If so I'll just wait and make a new VM for now. There are only a few projects I really want to get on with straight away, the rest can wait :)

Status
Not open for further replies.