CIFS work in windows, ask for user/pass for linux/mac/android

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaTR

Cadet
Hey all. Been having some trouble with my setup.

Been using freenas for years, and occasionally updated it, but not often. I think i started out back with v7 or something. Anyways, basically, i had a perfectly fine setup where my cifs shares were accessible from all devices and platforms. One day, i get a user/pass prompt from android and mac, but windows see's the shares and accesses just fine. I had updated freenas via gui, but i had not changed anything else.

Long story short, after days or troubleshooting, and even factory restore and re-setup, the problem persists. I'm so tired, and ive read so much text that i can't keep anything strait anymore. I'm at a complete loss. Only thing i can think of is backing up to external drives, destroying the raidz, and starting again. but i suppose there's no guarantee that will work either. Can't figure it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ps. specs of my setup are in my sig. thx.

ShaTR

Cadet
forgot to mention, no matter what user/pass i try, i still can't see the shares. just denies me every time. Tried root user/pass, tried guest, tried nobody. nothing works.

ShaTR

Cadet
Thanks but still no luck. Configured as per instructions and no go. Went so far as to put owner and user of dataset as nobody, shares as nobody or guest, and still same problem. I navigate to the ip of the server on any non-windows box and it just ask's me for user/pass. If i try to navigate directly to the share path, no dice either.

ShaTR

Cadet
Attached (now removed)

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Okay, there are a few issues here:

1) It looks like at some point in time you had guest access in samba configured to use a guest account named "guest". At some point you probably deleted this entry, but it retained an entry in samba's user database and samba is unhappy.

Possible remedy - create a user named 'guest' and set a password for it.

2) Your logs are being spammed by hostname lookup errors.

Possible remedy - in your CIFS config uncheck "hostname lookups"

3) There are some vfs_init errors related to the share [test4] indicating a configuration problem that is not reflected in your debug file.

Request - post full contents of /etc/local/smb4.conf enclosed in [ code ] tags. You can retrieve this information through the CLI in the following ways (as examples)
cat /etc/local/smb4.conf
less /etc/local/smb4.conf
testparm

ShaTR

Cadet
Thanks. I did 1 and 2, i can get to the shares now from android with user/pass using the new guest account. Any way to do this without having to use a login/pass?

3 was literally just a new temporary share i created and was messing with the settings to see if i could figure out what was going on. no need to troubleshoot that.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks. I did 1 and 2, i can get to the shares now from android with user/pass using the new guest account. Any way to do this without having to use a login/pass?

3 was literally just a new temporary share i created and was messing with the settings to see if i could figure out what was going on. no need to troubleshoot that.
Configure guest access by going to Services -> CIFS and changing "Guest account" to the desired guest account. Set that user as the dataset owner. If you desire unauthenticated access for all devices / users, then in your share's config check the boxes "Allow Guest Access" and "Only Allow Guest Access".

After these changes you may need to remove mapped network drives from windows clients in cmd.exe "net use * /delete", then reboot.

ShaTR

Cadet
Perfect. Thank you soooo much. That damn missing guest account causing all this headache lol. Anyways, greatly appreciated sir. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.