CIFS/SMB Slow and Long Authentification w/ temporary fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

nudzimisie

Cadet
The Issue:
After creating a samba share with guest access, when attempting to access the share from my XBMC or multiple macs, it would appear unresponsive. AFP and NFS appeared to work just fine, however XBMC was not able to see the samba share whatsoever and the macs would take over 1 minute to access the share (no authentification prompt or guest option).

My Temp Solution:
After doing a reset to default settings, the issue immediately went away.
When I began to change settings for the CIFS shares, it came back. After a few hours of trial and error, I came to the following realization:

1) The netbios name MUST be in all lowercase
2) The workgroup name cannot be changed
3) The netbios name MUST match the hostname

If these three conditions are not met, then my samba begins to act very slowly, with slow transfers, or no recognition whatsoever. This is true for both of my FreeNAS configs (two different machines).

System Config:
OS Version: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p1
Platform: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
FreeNAS Build: FreeNAS-8.0-RELEASE-amd64

Hope this helps someone in the future!

nepenthe

Cadet
Thank you.

I can confirm this issue -- or at least an issue with similar symptoms (mostly, large slow-downs of SMB traffic, from ~30/MBs to ~560KB/s). Which seems to have been resolved by addressing what you suggested, thus far.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Many thanks, this help me a lot.
Just one more tricks. My hostname is: nas, but since the domain is setup as "local", I have to setup the netbios as "nas.local".

Now, on my FreeNAS 8.0 RC1, the samba browsing is fast enough. Someone know if in 8.0.2 version the samba speed is increased?

Status
Not open for further replies.