CIFS (SMB) Share and creation of a dataset

mrchrisw

Cadet
Hi,

I am just setting up my first FreeNAS system using a single VDEV with 2 x 8TB dirves (Mirrored).

Created a pool called "Backup01" and started creating my first share under the Sharing menu and "Window Share (SMB)" option.

The name of this share that I have created is called "Photo" with the path of "/mnt/Backup01/Photo".

I have no issues with accessing this on my Windows workstations and have transferred most of my files there.

I have noticed that there are many guides that mentioned that a Dataset would need to be created under the Pool before sharing. I am a bit confused at the moment, what is the advantage of creating a dataset? Is there an issue with storing data on a share folder which is not a dataset?

Thank you

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I am just setting up my first FreeNAS system using a single VDEV with 2 x 8TB dirves (Mirrored).

Created a pool called "Backup01" and started creating my first share under the Sharing menu and "Window Share (SMB)" option.

The name of this share that I have created is called "Photo" with the path of "/mnt/Backup01/Photo".

I have no issues with accessing this on my Windows workstations and have transferred most of my files there.

I have noticed that there are many guides that mentioned that a Dataset would need to be created under the Pool before sharing. I am a bit confused at the moment, what is the advantage of creating a dataset? Is there an issue with storing data on a share folder which is not a dataset?

Thank you
The ZFS dataset administration tools operate at a dataset level. If you put "Photo" into its own dataset, then you can administer snapshots, replicate, etc, etc at that level rather than having to do the entire pool at once.