CIFS Share not created

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoodrich

Dabbler
We have been using two FreeNAS boxes successfully for over a year now. In troubleshooting a hardware issue we needed to add a new volume and share it to create some write traffic on a previously unused backplane board.

We can create the CIFS share, the new share survives a reboot, but the share never appears in /usr/local/etc/smb.conf and no share is available. Previously created shares are working fine.

Currently running 9.1.1 on Backblaze hardware.

Thanks for any assistance.

DAve

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Umm.... what? No share is available but the share survives a reboot? How is that possible?

smb.conf is at /etc/local/smb.conf

dgoodrich

Dabbler
The share in the GUI survives, but no share is available on the network. /etc/local/smb.conf is also unchanged after adding the share to the GUI, just like /usr/local/etc/smb.conf. The GUI shares are never populated to the conf files.

Since we are not supposed to use the CLI, how do we get the GUI to work?

Thanks,

DAve

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know what to say.. did you turn the service on? You're the only one I've ever heard that didn't have a share get created.

dgoodrich

Dabbler
Yea the service is running, that is why the previous created shares are available.

- System has been restarted numerous times.
- The service has been restarted several times.
- New shares have been created and deleted a dozen times at least, none have worked.
- The smb.conf file is touched each time, so the GUI is writing the file, but it is not adding the new share to the file. Here I did nothing but restart the service this morning.

Code:
[root@FreeNAS-02] /usr/local/etc# ls -la /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  2611 Dec 18 14:56 /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
[root@FreeNAS-02] /usr/local/etc# ls -la /etc/local/smb.conf
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  2611 Dec 18 14:56 /etc/local/smb.conf
[ restarted the CIFS service ]
[root@FreeNAS-02] /usr/local/etc# ls -la /etc/local/smb.conf
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  2611 Dec 19 08:12 /etc/local/smb.conf
[root@FreeNAS-02] /usr/local/etc# ls -la /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  2611 Dec 19 08:12 /usr/local/etc/smb.conf

and no change, the new smb.conf contains only the old shares.

Perplexing and aggravating.

DAve

dgoodrich

Dabbler
The samba logs are fine, no errors there. Is there a GUI log or FreeNAS log that can tell me anything?

D

dlavigne

Is the new volume UFS or ZFS? Also, post a screenshot of View Windows (CIFS) Shares.

dgoodrich

Dabbler
ZFS. testboard is the share we are trying to create. Static Data and Video work just fine. Since this morning I saved the config of this FreeNAS, replaced the USB stick and installed a fresh copy of FreeNAS 9.1.1, uploaded the config, no change to the behavior of the CIFS sharing.

It's gotta be something silly simple, what am I missing?

view-cifs.jpg

dgoodrich

Dabbler
Yea, I had a folder in the path when I created the share and the destination folder did not exist yet. Created the folder and everything works. Funny no error message anywhere, the first thing I checked was the logs!

DAve

cyberjock

Inactive Account
lol.. You know, I almost asked that question too!

Status
Not open for further replies.