CIFS error - need to backup to external - how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

messerchmidt

Explorer
Hi everyone, running a zfs raid 5 with 3x 1TB WD Reds on a core2 e6420 with 4gb ddr2 and an intel pcie gigabit nic (the on board realtek one would not work). Its a home NAS that I use to backup some work files,etc. Used my old comp for it. Its been running for a over a year. It replace a painfully slow DLINK DNS323 with 320gb x2 in raid 1.

I am having the dreaded CIFS service wont start issue after updating to the latest freenas 64 @ 9.2.1.7 from an old 8.3 install. Was playing with it, creating new tables,etc and its a no go. It seems that deleting the array and recreating it is the best way to deal with this. I need to backup some files from here first before doing that. I have up to date backups of my work files,etc, but I need some other stuff on there.

Is there an idiot proof way to hook up a usb2 HD, mount it, and copy everything to it and read that backup on a windows 7 pc?

I found this: http://www.spiderwebsolutions.com.au/backup-to-usb-external-drive-on-freenas/

please advise, thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your system is inadequate for FreeNAS. 8GB of RAM is the minimum.

As for the backup, copy stuff over the network with a Windows machine onto the drive.

Alvin

Explorer
Attach an NTFS formatted drive to your FreeNAS
  1. Log in as root
  2. # kldload fuse (so you can use NTFS)
  3. # camcontrol devlist or just dmesg (in order to find your device. e.g. da5)
  4. # mkdir /mnt/usb (create a mountpoint)
  5. # mount -t ntfs /dev/da5p1 /mnt/usb (mount the NTFS partition)
  6. # rsync -rvt /mnt/mypoolandsuch/ /mnt/usb/ (use rsync, or tar, or cp, or... to copy your files to the USB disk.)
  7. # umount /mnt/usb (don't forget to unmount afterwards)
Your files will be readable by Windows 7. Some permissions and such might be lost though.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Using NTFS with FreeNAS for anything other than the initial copy of large amounts of data to the server is playing with fire. Even then, using NTFS is discouraged.

NTFS write support is known to cause a lot of trouble.

esamett

Patron
Safest is to use sata cable to directly connect to nas. Usb drives do not play well with freenas. I had lots of time out errors when I tried. Work around is to add small sata drive to move freenas settings to. Then Cifs worked for me.

messerchmidt

Explorer
i will put the drive inside and do it that way. i cannot access it from windows without cifs working (at least i am not sure how-to do that). its been working fine with 4gb thus far.

my old core i7 902 may get an ecc ram upgrade and take its place as a freenas box

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
If SSH is working, then use Filezilla/SFTP to download your data to a separate computer. Note that you have an insufficient amount of memory to run freenas stably.

messerchmidt

Explorer
i believed the old i7 920 on x58 had ecc support. was going to swap the 6 gigs of ram to 12 of ecc. meh, may end up making a new box for freenas in a mini-itx enclosure. I am going to give SSH a wirl tomorrow.

i have never had a problem with 4gb of ram until the latest cifs screwup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
i believed the old i7 920 on x58 had ecc support. was going to swap the 6 gigs of ram to 12 of ecc. meh, may end up making a new box for freenas in a mini-itx enclosure. I am going to give SSH a wirl tomorrow.

i have never had a problem with 4gb of ram until the latest cifs screwup.

http://ark.intel.com/products/37147/Intel-Core-i7-920-Processor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

Nope. That's what I had for spare hardware when i was playing with FreeNAS. The x58 chipset will support ECC (if the board manufacturer actually set it up) but without an ECC-supported CPU you aren't going to use ECC.

messerchmidt

Explorer
after much screwing around, it is all backed up, the raid z has been recreated which fixed the cifs issue, and i am copying everything back. thanks guy

Status
Not open for further replies.