CIFS 4gb problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

praecorloth

Contributor
Random thing I discovered. FreeBSD has a problem Realtek NIC driver. It causes MASSIVE amounts of collisions (like about a million collisions per day). If you're presenting a Realtek NIC to your FreeNAS VM, perhaps try swapping that to an Intel NIC.

pakpenyo

Dabbler
I am using 8.2 Release with mountain lion and have this problem. Trying transfer my files InstallESD.dmg (10.8 installer) to Freenas via CIFS, and get error 36. Maybe i can upload a screenshot?

Code:
Hostname	freenas.local
Build	FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)
Platform	AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor
Memory	7920MB
System Time	Thu Aug 02 07:36:44 WIT 2012
Uptime	 7:36AM up 9:20, 0 users
Load Average	0.11, 0.10, 0.03
Connected through	10.10.2.123

djoole

Contributor
Same here.
I can't transfer files larger than 4GB from my MBPR (Mountain Lion) to the CIFS share on FreeNAS 8.2 RC2 (error -36)

djoole

Contributor
Yeah same problem with modifying users involved in a AFP share. You have to reboot the nas.

unholyeyebrows

Explorer
Hi djoole & pakpenyo. Is there any chance you can list what AFP settings changes you made to fix this so that I can try these this evening?

Thanks for your help.
Nick

djoole

Contributor
We did nothing to fix the CIFS 4GB problem, as there is no solution known.

We just made an AFP share instead of a CIFS share.. and AFP works much better when sharing files between a Mac and FreeNAS! (i got 6MB/s on wifi with CIFS, and 9MB/s with AFP)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Don't take this the wrong way, but Mac users are a small minority of users. It's hard to fix things when the developers can't reproduce the errors. :( Give it 5 years when Mac's are a larger percentage of the market and then you might see much better support for AFP.

djoole

Contributor
This topic is about CIFS, not AFP. AFP works like a charm.

unholyeyebrows

Explorer
Good work-around

We did nothing to fix the CIFS 4GB problem, as there is no solution known.

We just made an AFP share instead of a CIFS share.. and AFP works much better when sharing files between a Mac and FreeNAS! (i got 6MB/s on wifi with CIFS, and 9MB/s with AFP)

Hi djoole

That makes sense and I have just set-up my shares with AFP and as I type I'm past 6Gb on my file back-up, so certainly this does work. For me this is a good enough work-around as I really only access my shares on my Mac, and I can always re-enable my CIFS shares should I need to gain access from a Windows machine.

So this will do for me - thanks for the help!
Nick

unholyeyebrows

Explorer

Agreed. And from my testing the problem occurs specifically between OSX and FreeNAS using CIFS. OSX to a Synology Diskstation, Windows to FreeNAS, and Linux to FeeNAS do not see the problem. So this could be a bug in OSX for all I know - it's a great OS but not as bullet-proof as people would like to believe!

cyberjock

Inactive Account

Wow. I'm a dummy. Guess I should have gone to bed earlier. Bad last 36 hours. LOL

RotsiserMho

Dabbler
Just wanted to chime in and mention that I'm having this exact problem. I'm using OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) and FreeNAS 8.3.0p1. It's quite annoying. I would use AFP but I have issues with that as well (drives never spin down).

Tangu

Dabbler
I do have the same behavior with CIFS too, cannot copy files over 4.29G. Mac OS 10.7.5 to FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825), i have to mount file share using AFP instead to make it work

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Is "Large file support" checked in the CIFS settings?

Where is this Large File Support option? I don't see it on my 8.3.1 or 9.1 systems...

D

dlavigne

Thanks cyberjock. Double-checking shows that It was removed and forced On by default explicitly in 8.3.1 so that this problem wouldn't happen. Are you using a custom smb.conf? If not, we'll check to see if somehow a merge got missed,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I was getting confused because I seemed to vaguely remember that setting but I didn't see it in 8.3.1 or 9.1 :P

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Tangu,

You should probably update to 8.3.1 or 9.1. If you had done that you would have never had this problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.