Chelsio T520-CR not showing up as a network interface

Evan000

Cadet
Hi, this my first real stab at TrueNAS (version 22.12.3.3) and it's been mostly smooth. One issue I have run into is that my Chelsio T520-CR 10gbe NIC is detected but doesn't show up as network interface. After doing some research it seems like cxgb(4) supports the older chips and cxgbe support the T5, but it seems like its not installed with the default installation of TrueNAS. Am I missing a step? I had gotten the impression that the T520-CR would work right out the box. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Screenshot 2023-09-09 175958.png

Do you have netstat -i available? On my TrueNAS Core 12.X system, a T5 type interface is listed as a cxlX.

Evan000

Cadet
Still doesn't show the interface. Just the two 1gbe on the motherboard and the supermicro usb0 interface. Seems like the hardware is fine as the Supermicro bios can see the card and configure it.

Screenshot 2023-09-10 112338.png

Casobs2

Cadet
I am having a very similar issue

The system sees the card, but wont list it as a interface:

1694837854910.png

I believe I need to installed the driver for cxgbe but am not sure how to go about doing that.

The Supermicro H11ssl-i BIOS can see the card. I can even enter the Chelsio Setup Utility, so I do not think it is a hardware issue.
What step are we missing?

Did you ever get it working @Evan000 ?

Casobs2

Cadet
So I have two of the exact same T520-CR cards.
I switched them out and I it is the exact same result. The underlying system DOES see the card, but TrueNAS won't list it as an interface.

I am even more inclined to believe that it is a settings issue and not a card issue.

EDIT: Put one of that cards in my pfsense router, works perfectly, so it isnt a hardware issue.

Last edited:

NathanYung

Cadet
Success
Today, I added one Chelsio T520-CR to my server for SRIOV VF, it didn’t work.
After upgrade firmware, it works.
Be careful, the new boot rom file, cubt4.bin , show error, the file size is too big.
Needs to Choose T520-CR, boot, ipxe, download, upgrade.

TrueNAS Scale , ok
TrueNAS Core, fail.

Under ESXi
Do not pass what NIC you see.
Must pass VF NIC

VM
windows 11 , ok
Arista NG Firewall , ok
TrueNAS Scale, ok

Finally ‍

Attachments

• Chelsio VF_T520--CR_4.jpeg
    Chelsio VF_T520--CR_4.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 96

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I don't know whether or not this applies to Chelsio cards. But for my Intel X520-DA2 I have transceivers that are recognized as incompatible. They still work fine, but unless I provide the driver with a flag to ignore this, they don't show up in FreeBSD (or Linux). There was, however, a message about this in the overall system/boot log. So looking there might help and is certainly always a good idea for this kind of problem.

NathanYung

Cadet
I don't know whether or not this applies to Chelsio cards. But for my Intel X520-DA2 I have transceivers that are recognized as incompatible. They still work fine, but unless I provide the driver with a flag to ignore this, they don't show up in FreeBSD (or Linux). There was, however, a message about this in the overall system/boot log. So looking there might help and is certainly always a good idea for this kind of problem.
Before update option rom, I also can not use T520-CR with TrueNAS scale.
Option rom has new version ,20230424.

☺️

Attachments

• IMG_7405.jpeg
    IMG_7405.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 100
I kinda got this to work in the latest cobia release. I found that there were no drivers present in my installation (or I deleted them trying to fix a card that was sent broken) and the debug folder had them. I have to run the dhclient command on boot though for this to work.

cd /lib/modules/
cp -R 6.1.55-debug+truenas/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet 6.1.55-production+truenas/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet
dhclient

Casobs2 or Evan000 did you ever get this working?

I have a known card I just tried using with the same (new to me) motherboard you seem to have and I am having the same exact problem.

For anyone else having this problem, I did fix it with a basic fix.

I noticed the card was not getting PCI memory allocations. I moved the card to a new PCIe slot (so the card is first in line on the bus) and it came right up on the next boot.