Check the pool status

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Hello guys,
first to migrate to FreeNAS 8, I'm done some experiment on VMWare machine

I created a pool with 3 HDD in RAID-Z and then remove one disk from VMWare to simulate a fault.
When I check the pool status I always seen the following:

Code:
    freenas# zpool status -v
      pool: tvixhd1
    state: ONLINE
    scrub: scrub completed after 0h0m with 0 errors on Sun Jul 24 16:24:36 2011
    config:

NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
            tvixhd1      ONLINE       0     0     0
              raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
                gpt/da0  ONLINE       0     0     0
                gpt/da1  ONLINE       0     0     0
                gpt/da2  ONLINE       0     0     0

So, seem FreeNAS doesn't recognize the faulty disk.
The only way seem reboot freenas or launch the scrub command (but it takes some time to complete and take high resource)

Is there any other way to check the pool status to recognize a faulty disk? I would like to add to crontab and execute it every day.

Thanks
Lucas

does vmware allow you to remove a disk while it's running? how did you simulate the removal? (uses virtualbox)

Lucas Rey

Contributor
does vmware allow you to remove a disk while it's running? how did you simulate the removal? (uses virtualbox)

Sure, SCSI disk can be removed while VMWare and FreeNAS are running. On FreeNAS console I can see the alert for SCSI disk detached, but pool status is always "ONLINE" until I reboot the machine or execute the scrub!

yay!

can you try changing the disks to IDE or SATA. maybe FreeNAS doesn't handle scsi disks right and you found a bug?

Lucas Rey

Contributor
NOPE! IDE device cannot be removed until the virtual machine is powered off... :(

I would like to simulate a disk fault, and in my final NAS I'll use SATA disks, so maybe the problem is only on VMWare!

Status
Not open for further replies.