Check My Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelGMorgan

Dabbler
Hi,

I have 8 HDDs, which I'm going to be putting through some significant testing to see if they're up to scratch.
I already have countless consumer boards, etc. but I wanted to get your thoughts on the following spec which I'm hoping will be more reliable considering the trouble I've gone through recently.
  • Intel Pentium Dual Core G4400 3.3 GHz
  • Kingston 16GB (2x 8GB) Unbuffered DDR4 ECC memory
  • Gigabyte X150M-PRO ECC Motherboard (DDR4)
  • Gold rated 750W PSU
  • LSI M1015
I just need to know if the above is a decent spec and can be considered stable enough for a day to day file server.
If I go ahead I intend on building and then running it through an extensive run-in to ensure everything is good to go.

Thanks

MichaelGMorgan

Dabbler
I really don't think I need anything like IPMI - this server will be in our office rack so any issues I can easily and immediately get access to it.

Is there anything in the above spec that jumps out to you as a definite no go?

adrianwi

Guru
You've got to love the posts that ask for members thoughts on a build, and then shoot down the first suggestion as they know better :rolleyes:

Always make me wonder why they ask in the first place?

Supermicro > Gibabyte
Crucial > Kingston
750W PSU probably overkill

But hey, build whatever you want :D

Turboproc

Dabbler
Hi,

had to make a similar choice recently. Decided to use a SuperMicro board (incl IPMI). Liked the board from the minute it was powered on. See details in my signature.
So about the IPMI: can you survive without? Probably yes. Does it make life a lot easier? Sure yes.

MichaelGMorgan

Dabbler
You've got to love the posts that ask for members thoughts on a build, and then shoot down the first suggestion as they know better :rolleyes:

Always make me wonder why they ask in the first place?

Supermicro > Gibabyte
Crucial > Kingston
750W PSU probably overkill

But hey, build whatever you want :D

I'm certainly not shooting it down, I'm just trying to find the best solution within budget.

On my first build I guess I screwed up because I was using existing hardware, even with non ECC. Lesson learned there! I just need to find a solid solution at minimal cost so if I can safely and reliably get away with using a slightly cheaper, non-server board then it's certainly going to be a strong contender.

If however you guys strongly recommend against the above choice and really push me down the SuperMicro route then so be it and I'll cough up the extra :)

I appreciate the help and advice - which is exact what I need right now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.