change logical block size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel-A

Dabbler
Greetings! I'm testing different drive sizes in a Netapp DS14MK2 enclosure and I see that when I put a 3 TB drive in, FreeNAS sees the drive as 801 GB. I've searched the forums and seen that others have had similar issues. What I would like to do is resector the drive into 4096 byte sectors and see if there is some improvement. Can FreeNAS do this or should I boot into ubuntu and run SG utils for this?

Smart Output:

[root@freenas] ~# smartctl -a /dev/da0
smartctl 6.5 2016-05-07 r4318 [FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: ST3000DM
Product: 001-1CH166 SX
Revision: CC24
User Capacity: 801,502,617,088 bytes [801 GB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
Logical Unit id: 0x2208000a339ac67f
Serial number: Z1F3TPA8
Device type: disk
Transport protocol: Fibre channel (FCP-2)
Local Time is: Fri Feb 3 11:35:11 2017 PST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
Temperature Warning: Disabled or Not Supported

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: OK
Current Drive Temperature: 0 C
Drive Trip Temperature: 0 C

Error Counter logging not supported

[GLTSD (Global Logging Target Save Disable) set. Enable Save with '-S on']
Device does not support Self Test logging

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Vendor: ST3000DM
Product: 001-1CH166 SX
Already we have a problem sir.

If you look at the various fields on the smartctl output, you can see for example questionable results for vendor, product, logical unit id, and serial number.

Is this in fact Fibre channel?

You're using long since end-of-life'd equipment here with that DS14MK2, and I have no idea how that interface is configured, or what's going on. There appears to be evidence that the interface is not working compatibly, for example. I don't know much about things with backplanes/whatever, so I don't know what's normal, or what this means. Maybe @cyberjock has an idea.

Maybe someone else will have an idea, but since no one has responded to your post in a few days now, I'm not sure where that leaves us.

Daniel-A

Dabbler
Already we have a problem sir.

If you look at the various fields on the smartctl output, you can see for example questionable results for vendor, product, logical unit id, and serial number.

Is this in fact Fibre channel?

You're using long since end-of-life'd equipment here with that DS14MK2, and I have no idea how that interface is configured, or what's going on. There appears to be evidence that the interface is not working compatibly, for example. I don't know much about things with backplanes/whatever, so I don't know what's normal, or what this means. Maybe @cyberjock has an idea.

Maybe someone else will have an idea, but since no one has responded to your post in a few days now, I'm not sure where that leaves us.

Thanks for the feedback! It is actually fibre channel. I didn't have success with the sg3_utils either, threw some invalid op code errors, a bit beyond my level. The drive is dated, I don't think modern 3TB drives use 512B sectors. I got a pair of the shelves quite cheap, loaded with 28 TB raw. It's all for home lab. Functionally I suppose I could have gone with a couple large SSDs, but this exposes me to some other technologies.

I was curious if I could load the shelves with newer SATA drives; it took a 2 TB fine. Long term I'll probably build a second box for off site backups, something higher density with fewer drives and less power/cooling requirements. The resilience of the shelves with dual FC controllers is interesting to me, and the performance with FreeNAS is pretty good. Instantly resolved some storage contention I was encountering.

snaptec

Guru
The drive is known as "not the best" with a high failure rate

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
The drive is known as "not the best" with a high failure rate

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
To be more accurate,

this drive is known as "the worst high capacity hard drive ever marketed to the consumer, in the past ten years of the hard drive industry".

Daniel-A

Dabbler
To be more accurate,

this drive is known as "the worst high capacity hard drive ever marketed to the consumer, in the past ten years of the hard drive industry".

Hah! Good to know, glad I asked. I guess I'll pull it. Used to use it to store short term junk like videos or tv, but lately its been a datastore for some VMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.