Can't update OS nor plugins

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbob1016

Explorer
Hey all,

I am trying to upgrade some plugins and get the following:

Software Version: FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE (dc7d195f4)
Request Method: POST
Request URL: http://192.x.x.x/plugins/plugin/update/55/

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/exception.py" in inner
42. response = get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _legacy_get_response
249. response = self._get_response(request)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in _get_response
178. response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
162. return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
23. return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "./freenasUI/plugins/views.py" in plugin_update
238. if notifier().update_pbi(plugin=iplugin):
File "./freenasUI/middleware/notifier.py" in update_pbi
2111. raise MiddlewareError("There was a problem creating the PBI")

Exception Type: MiddlewareError at /plugins/plugin/update/55/
Exception Value: [MiddlewareError: There was a problem creating the PBI]

And when I try to upgrade the OS I'm getting checksum errors. Unsure if that's related. Any advice? I'd try to update over the CLI, but I don't know if I can just pkg update as I get the impression that would be bad.

joeschmuck

Old Man
FreeNAS-11.1 Release is buggy. Maybe some more details would help you here, were you running an older version recently and just upgraded to 11.1 Release? You don't list the plugins you are trying to update either, kind of hard to help if we have to guess. If yes then roll back to that previous version, make a backup of your config file, install FreeNAS 11.1-U6, restore your config file if needed. Your plug-ins may not operate or they may, and as for updating a plug-in, well that doesn't always work or work well. You are better off using a jail and manually installing the software you desire and that way you can update it without issue. But if you have plans to switch to FreeNAS 11.2 then I'd wait on everything until FreeNAS 11.2 Release comes out since you will want to rebuild your jails using the new iocage stuff vice warden.

I hope this helps.

bobbob1016

Explorer
Yeah, my bad. I didn't list the plugins as it was so many giving the same error that it was a common bug not the plugins. Namely SABnzb and Transmission. I was on 9.3, then Corral, then 11.1 for a while now, and my only "downgrade" option is Corral. I can reinstall if needed I guess, but I have everything set in FreeNAS the way I like, and I like having it all on one machine but other IPs for routing and such. Is there a reason it seems every new version needs me to redo my plugins though? I know Corral was a misstep, but now 11.2 needs me to redo my plugins again?

I guess I'll stay on 11.1 for now then though, thanks. I was just thinking from the "OMG upgrade everything ASAP" for security stance.

Also, aren't they phasing out JAILs for Bhyve or something? Should I look at setting up in that over JAILs so I don't have to reinstall again later?

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
but now 11.2 needs me to redo my plugins again?
Well I've heard rumblings that things might upgrade automatically upgrade in a future version of FreeNAS but 11.2 does support Warden jails so no change is required. But iocage is available so it's not a bad time to replace those Warden jails with the new iocage jails when you feel you have the time. I think 11.3 is where the Warden jails will no longer be supported. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I don't keep up to date on the daily workings of FreeNAS like I use to.

Also, aren't they phasing out JAILs for Bhyve or something?
Yes, but it will still be refered to as jails. You have the old Warden style of jail and the new Bhyve/iocage jails.

I was just thinking from the "OMG upgrade everything ASAP" for security stance.
It depends on how your system is connected to the internet. Is it behind a firewall? If yes then you should be safe, if it's open on the internet then you should consider putting it behind a firewall and only open the ports you need to and monitor it. FreeNAS is not on the cutting edge of security patches, I've yet to see a single security patch however I've seen updates to fix mainly programming issues. The way FreeNAS is built you can't apply a security patch, you need to go to a new version. Version 11.1-U5 or later is fine. And I'm going to wait for FreeNAS 11.2-U1 to come out before I update my system. I'm at a good comfortable place with my system and it's behind a firewall fairly safe from the world so I'm not in a rush like I was in the 8.x, 9.x, and 10.x days of FreeNAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.