can't ping to jail but jail can ping to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I'm new to the whole freenas solution so maybe i'm going to ask a stupid question. Also newby on FreeBSD system.

I want to have a good reliable NAS solution. So i was looking around and came to FreeNAS. I'm willing to get me a new computer which i can use as NAS.
Before i buy this new computer i first wanted to know how freenas works. So i installed VirtualBox from Oracle on my Windows 7 host. And install FreeNAS within VirtalBox.
I followed a tutorial i found on google to setup FreeNAS with torrent and dlna support. (https://www.zufallsheld.de/2013/11/22/freenas-transmission-couchpotato-sickbeard-dlna-server/ )

All went well. but when i try to open my webbrowser and navigate to 1 of the plugins ip it wont connect. However i'm able to ping from within the jail to google.com but when i want to ping from my windows 7 host to the jail it says timeout. When i ping from the freenas itself it works.

Does some of you guys know what is going on here. It seems like a routing issue but i can't figure it out.

All the info i can give you on my setup if you need some specific info i can give it to you.

Host computer is an Intel i7 4,00Ghz with 16GB ram

Configured my Virtalbox with 8GB ram and 1 cpu. Ethernet is bridged.
Using latest version of FreeNAS.

Thanks in advance.

Whattteva

Wizard
Be nice if you can give us the actual IP's and routing tables of both the host and the guest.
As of now, you barely gave us anything to work with.

Well i didn't know what went wrong. But i just started my virtualbox on which freenas is running to get all the info you asked for.
then i noticed when i use the jls command to view my jail al my jails came with its ipaddress. So i tried it again and it's working now.

I tried many restarts earlier today but nothing looked to work. And now it has the correct routing. So i guess my problem is solved.

Aperently it looks like earlier reboots of the virtual machine didn't hold the routing for some reason.

O

oddeypaulo

I'm guessing the delay in the jail responding to queries is because of some failing reverse DNS lookups. You can try to fix this by enabling BIND on the system / jail by setting:

named_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf of the jail or host, then use the
local IP as DNS server.

Regards,
IT Services Adelaide

Status
Not open for further replies.