Can't open /var/tmp/rc.conf.freenas: No such file or directory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this...nothing else seemed to fit, not sure if its a hardware or software issue.

System won't boot, was working until yesterday, seemed to hang at different spots. Tonight it stopped with a FreeBSD graphic of a devil with a pitchfork bouncing back and forth across the screen, until I pressed enter, then I see

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libm.so.5: invalid file format
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libmd.so.5: invalid file format
Can't open /var/tmp/rc.conf.freenas: No such file or directory
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for bun/sh:

I did an edit on /etc/rc.conf yesterday (not sure on path to rc.conf and now can't get in to check), I believe I changed hostname from freenas to freenas.localdomain, and maybe I changed the value for default-gateway because I was losing access to the system from the GUI when trying to setup lagg.

I'm fairly certain that I was able to shutdown and reboot after the rc.conf edit but the message seems related. Last night it seemed to be hanging at diff spots during boot, never saw the devil, so I was wondering if maybe the Patriot flash drive became corrupted from perhaps overheating because its inside the server case, where before I was using a Sandisk externally and never saw a problem booting although the Patriot worked for about a week.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

gpsguy

Why are you editing this file directly? You should be using the GUI.

I did an edit on /etc/rc.conf yesterday

In any event, it does sound like the OS is hosed. I'd install a fresh copy of FreeNAS to a new flash drive. If you have a backup of your configuration file, you can restore it afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.