Can't move some specific files from my local drive to TrueNAS dataset.

Hello guys. I'm new at TrueNAS, but I already configured and setup everything, mapped my dataset in my windows 11 explorer, all working good, except one thing that I would like to ask for some help:

O copied most of my files to the dataset, but some files were left behind, most PDFs, RARs and ZIPs, among others. And don't matter what I do, I can't move them from my local drive to the TrueNAS drive mapped on my Windows 11. When I try to move them, first Windows ask me for Admin permission to do that (this doesn't happen on other normal files). I give the permission, but after that I get an error message telling me the location is not available, to check if the drive is connected. Well, it is!

First, this question appears:
1.png

After clicking Continue, this error appears:
2.png

Anyone knows what the problem might be? Some facts beforehand:
I tried move those problematic files from two different computers, all had the same problem. This reveals that the problem is not on my Windows.
ACL permissions are set fine on TrueNAS, with the Open preset to my user. In other words, my user has full control of my datasets.
I've configures my TrueNAS to not use DHCP, like the video from TrueNAS youtube channel, but I couldn't configure and DDNS yet.

Check the permissions of the files you are trying to copy according to Windows, were these files created with a different user?

Check the permissions of the files you are trying to copy according to Windows, were these files created with a different user?

Yes, I'm the owner of the file (thou it was not created by me, but this is not the problem because other files not created by me were copied normally). I even created a script to Take Ownership of the file withing the context menu. I took ownership of one specific file to test, and nothing... it still gives me the same result.

Hmm yeah it seems strange. If you can copy some things but not others feels more likely Windows related, you might also make sure no antivirus things are stopping it. These are common extensions in which to hide malware and the fact you are copying it over Windows 11 with all the hacking going on in the world. Id be suspect.

Hmm yeah it seems strange. If you can copy some things but not others feels more likely Windows related, you might also make sure no antivirus things are stopping it. These are common extensions in which to hide malware and the fact you are copying it over Windows 11 with all the hacking going on in the world. Id be suspect.

Well, based on what you told, I tried deactivate the Viruses Protection here from Windows Defender. Yet nothing changed, same problem. But I don't think it's related with the client side. Because I tried move the same file from two different computers, mine with Windows 11 and another one with Windows 10. Both had the exact same problem. So looks like it is some configuration on TrueNAS side. Do you have any idea what it might be?

Its not a definite resolution, only a suggestion. Im only using Windows for work, otherwise I use Unix machines, and I have never touched Windows 11. So I cant say this IS the problem. Theres no setting that im aware of BSD side that prevents you to copy any file you want with the correct credentials, etc. A Unix server does not care what the file is, Windows does. Hence your able to copy some, but not all files. Again its just my hunch and this could be far off. It allowed you to copy every "common format" file right?

I can remember there was a yellow popup at some point in my Windows past that when you right click a suspect file a warning of sorts would pop up. Maybe theres no warning now, just no, until you tell it yes, who knows (high speculation). The way it makes you provide creds to initiate the copy is suspect. If you had full rights to these files, it shouldnt make you do that.

eskell106

Cadet
In my case mentioned problem was solved by unchecking "read only" attribute on such files.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
In my case mentioned problem was solved by unchecking "read only" attribute on such files.
Yeah, I fixed this for TrueNAS 13 IIRC. The Samba VFS in TrueNAS 12 doesn't allow fix since I don't have the plumbing there to do fd-based calls on the alternate data streams on a file with DOS RO set (issue is when a file is set with DOS RO and has an alternate data stream on it).

WildLucifero

Cadet
Yes, it is true.
But I don't understand the reasons because the same file (with the "read only" attribute), from the same user but to a different NAS (Qnap), the copy works fine. And the same files was copied succesfully into the FreeNAS. I have this problem since I made a fresh install of TrueNas (the hardware is the same).
Thanks