Can't connect to FreeNAS from Linux Mint

Fritzolio

Explorer
Share name is Backup and I can connect to it from any Windows box all day long but not from Linux.

I get - "Unable to Mount Location, Failed to retrieve share list from server, connection times out." This message appears immediately so it appears the Linux isn't even trying to connect. Also, I don't know what the above message means.

I can see both my FreeNAS boxes from Linux but get the above message when I doubleclick on either one.

I'm not sure how Linux is trying to connect because Both FreeNAS boxes are listed along with "Windows Network" and not within "Windows Network".

I've tried both SMB and NSF with no joy.

FreeNAS is the latest version on both boxes.

Ideally I'd like to find a tutorial that explains exactly what needs to happen to get either one to work, don't really care which so long as it works.

Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How are you connecting? Are you using a folder viewer? Trying install cifs-utils and using the mount -t cifs cmd.

Fritzolio

Explorer
How are you connecting? Are you using a folder viewer? Trying install cifs-utils and using the mount -t cifs cmd.

Thank you sir. If you could give me a little guidance as to syntax I would mucho appreciate it. Everything I've tried returns an error and mother Google is of little help. The name that show up on the Linux box is "BACKUP" and the name of the Share is Backup. So far nothing I've done has changed anything.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I dunno read the man page?

something like mount -t cifs \\\\<server name>\\sharename. Then depending on auth and stuff you might need add some uid, gid options.

Fritzolio

Explorer
I'm using Linux Mint 18.3 on my main system. I just fired up another box running Linux Mint 19 and it connected without a problem so apparently the problem lies with this system. I've made no changes to the Linux 19 system but have tampered extensively with 18.3. Either I screwed something up or theres a compatibility issue here. Looks like I'll have to upgrade this box to 19.

I just started a Linux 19 VM installed on this Box and it too was able to connect without a problem so whatever the problem is it's definitely in Linux 18.3.

melloa

Wizard
I just started a Linux 19 VM installed on this Box and it too was able to connect without a problem so whatever the problem is it's definitely in Linux 18.3.

You should be able to browse your network from Mint 19 without any issues. I do remember having problems with 18 some time back. I'd recommend talk with the Mint folks in case you have problems, as most of the folks here are more on the *BSD side.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You should be able to browse your network from Mint 19 without any issues. I do remember having problems with 18 some time back. I'd recommend talk with the Mint folks in case you have problems, as most of the folks here are more on the *BSD side.
It's probably a smb1 or ntlm auth problem.

melloa

Wizard
It's probably a smb1 or ntlm auth problem.

It could be. SMB1 support is not on by default on FreeNAS latest versions, for security, but can be enabled. If he is fine with Mint 19, I'd leave it off.

Fritzolio

Explorer
I don't normally upgrade without a compelling reason. Well this is a compelling reason.

Thanks all for the help.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This is probably due to changes in versions of linux cifs-utils. Starting in samba 4.11, the samba project is disabling SMB1 by default. Everyone is moving away from it. In a future version of Samba (I don't think it's settled yet which one exactly) SMB1 support will be removed entirely.