Can't access volume permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

server1

Cadet
Hi guy's,
I'm new to Linux and Freenas so please be patient... I have set up my FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x64 box at home using a 4gb SanDisk Cruiser USB flash disk. I'm using a Asus P5QPL-VM EPU 775 motherboard with a Core2Duo E6400 processor & 4GB DDR2 RAM. I have 4x 160gb Western Digital IDE HDD's (with IDE-SATA adapters) plugged directly into the motherboard. I've set up a RaidZ volume using the 4 drives with some users and groups added. I also have another IDE WD 80gb drive which is connected to the motherboards main IDE slot. I intend to use this to serve my ftp service.

Everything was working fine (& still is) apart from the problem where I can't access the volume 'Change Permissions' of either volume. I keep getting the message 'sorry, an error occurred' when I click to modify permissions. This is the second time I've had this problem, last time I had the 'Type of ACL' set to UNIX and opened up (checked all the boxes for 'owner', 'group' & 'other'). I changed this setup slightly the second time round by having the 'Type of ACL' set to windows as most of my other machines are using windows xp. Previously when I couldn't get access to the volume permissions I just exported the entire RaidZ volume (deleted everything) and started again. Things worked ok for a while again but it seems to be after I setup some users & groups, suddenly I can't access the volume permissions any more.

I created a separate volume using the 80GB HDD (for my ftp) and I can no longer access the 'Change Permissions' here either. Although this time I've set up CIFS shares and copied data over from my windows network so I don't really want to start over. So I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can resolve this issue.

I tried removing some of the users & groups but sill no access. I have also checked the forum here, wiki & the net for answers but it seems to be rare problem as I can't find an answer.

I'm thinking/hoping I have missed something & that there is an easy fix.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

server1

Cadet
bump
any suggestions... anything? please...

As I said, everything else is working fine but I don't want to continue putting all my files onto the FreeNAS box if there is a fundamental problem with the way I have it set up.

What I mean is... do I really need volume/dataset permissions? I can still create shares and work with these at the moment.

Should I just work around it for now and hopefully I can resolve the permissions it in the future?

Thanks

server1

Cadet
Update

Everything else is not ok, I can't access some services either.
Services I can't access settings to include;
AFP
CIFS
TFTP

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.