Cannot save ANY Advanced Replication task, button grayed out

jhl

Dabbler
I am trying to replicate an encrypted dataset to another encrypted pool. I got the message that I cannot re-encrypt while preserving dataset properties... and ran into an issue where I cannot change any settings on an existing replication task, nor save a newly-created Advanced Replication task. No matter what I am trying to do in the Advanced Replication Settings window, I cannot click Save. The button is grayed out, cursor turns to red "forbidden" symbol if I mouse over the Save button, clicking has no effect, no feedback anywhere on what settings are invalid/missing.

I'm in a bind because I cannot set the advanced properties I need while creating a new task via the Wizard. I cannot save changes to an existing task. I cannot save a new task using Advanced Replication Creation.

I don't think I'm actually trying to save a task with missing/invalid settings because I can create a simple task with the Wizard so it has all required/valid settings, then I immediately go to edit it and I cannot save any changes no matter how minor.

TrueNAS scale Cobia latest version as checked today in the UI.

Reinstalled fresh copy of TrueNAS, no change.

Running in Proxmox as a VM on VirtIO/QEMU boot disk, all data disks are passed through PCIe devices (passed through SATA controller and NVMe drives)

Any ideas?

jhl

Dabbler
Well, after more tinkering it looks like it was not rejecting ALL saved tasks, just every setting I tried... even settings the Wizard accepted... and it may have been partly my fault that I expected those settings to work. Based on other research there are a lot of conditions you need to get right to replicate an encrypted dataset, and I'm not sure if what I was trying to do is possible.

HOWEVER, I do think the TrueNAS Scale webUI is behaving inconsistently here and preventing me from trying features that might actually work. I want to use the Inherit Encryption flag which would only work if Include Dataset Properties is disabled. The Wizard lets me choose Inherit Encryption but defaults to Include Dataset Properties. Advanced Replication settings let me disable Include Dataset Properties but will not let me Inherit Encryption with an encrypted source, even just trying to set the exact same combination of settings the wizard produces.

Considering Truenas lets you save all sorts of other invalid replication settings, try them, then see the logs to understand what you did wrong, it's a little weird and unhelpful that Advanced Replication rejects certain combinations of settings with zero explanation. At least the the replication wizard lets you save the same invalid settings and get a log telling you why your replication failed.

jhl

Dabbler
Thank you for the response and thank you for the fix on the way!

I did eventually get the settings to accept after clicking around the window a bunch, and got the replication to run, so it seems like I should have no issues after the patch