Cannot import a NTFS disk

ScaleyNas

Dabbler
Hello all,
TrueNAS SCALE noob here. I'm having a problem with importing a disk to copy the data from it. When I go to the import dialog, there is no drive to select from the DISK* drop drown menu. The HD (4TB WD RED NTFS with 1TB of data) does appear under DISKS.

What I've tried - (device details in my signature)
I'm following the instructions from documentation exactly and I've tried several different installs and tried using a few different SSD boot drives too. This happened under RC2. I tried via upgrade to official release. I tried fresh install of official release on different SSD boot disk. Right now I have a fresh install of official release, no odd configurations. One encrypted pool, 5 datasets, RaidZ1. I have 5TBs of backed up data to transfer so I'd really like to get this working. I have even tried different hard drives, several Seagates, WDs, wiped, freshly formatted and dumped 100MB of test data. Same as above. The disks are there, I can create a POOL if I want but cannot import the data. Grrr! lol

I've read through the entire documentation several times in preparation for SCALE's release. Am I missing something or is this a bug that I should report?

Other issues in case this info is relevant
#1 No Console Screen on NAS monitor. WebUI access and things seem to work fine. Multiple installation attempts with boot disk created under Rufus DD mode.
#2 OpenVPN server service fails. Multiple attempts at setting this up, without any luck. Also, cannot delete server certificate, says it's in use.

Last edited:

njkjta

Cadet
Hi all,
same problem here with my installation of TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.0.
I followed the documentation available also for TrueNAS CORE systems, but I can't see my NTFS USB disk in the drop down menu.

The same disk (Samsung D3 Station) is however listed in the shell:

Code:
root@truenas[~]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdd: 2.73 TiB, 3000592977920 bytes, 732566645 sectors
Disk model: D3 Station     
Units: sectors of 1 * 4096 = 4096 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xe917a311

Device     Boot Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdd1  *       64 732564063 732564000  2.7T  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

How can I move files from USB disk 4TiB to my POOL?

I tried with a little (8GiB) USB pen and it works on sdd2 partition but not on sdd1:

Code:
Disk /dev/sdd: 7.45 GiB, 7998537728 bytes, 15622144 sectors
Disk model: TransMemory     
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x148c1cb9

Device     Boot    Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdd1  *        2048 15556607 15554560  7.4G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdd2       15556608 15622143    65536   32M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

Something wrong with NTFS support on import?

Thanks

Nick2253

Wizard
I'm not sure why the disks aren't showing. This may be a bug, and is probably worth a bug report: https://jira.ixsystems.com

As a work around, you can always mount your devices directly, and copy files using the shell.

njkjta

Cadet
As a work around, you can always mount your devices directly, and copy files using the shell.
Thank you @Nick2253 for your fast reply.
I mounted my external USB hardisk:
Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/sdd1 /media

and copied all the files I needed on my dataset inside the pool:
Code:
cp -prv /media/myfolderontheexternalhdd/ /mnt/mypool/mydataset/

I'm going to open a bug report related to the GUI Import of NTFS Disks

Njkjta

ScaleyNas

Dabbler
Thank you to @Nick2253 and @njkjta for following up. I was travelling for work and literally just got home last night. I plugged in several USB drives (didn't think to do that before!) and Scale sees them and allows me to import from them. There is definitely a bug. I slapped together a Scale system today on some older/different hardware and same issue happened. Couldn't import disk if directly plugged into onboard SATA or my SAS HBA card but USB works.

jps229

Cadet
Thank you @Nick2253 for your fast reply.
I mounted my external USB hardisk:
Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/sdd1 /media

and copied all the files I needed on my dataset inside the pool:
Code:
cp -prv /media/myfolderontheexternalhdd/ /mnt/mypool/mydataset/

I'm going to open a bug report related to the GUI Import of NTFS Disks

Njkjta

this is not working under TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.0.1

Code:

admin@truenas[/]$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdm /media
mount: /media: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'.
       dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

I don't understand why 23.10 is worse than 22.02 in supporting imports...

Nick2253

Wizard

marcnesium

Cadet
Has anyone managed to read a ntfs disk with truenas scale 23? I just switched to truenas scale and can't install ntfs-3g the way i'm used to (apt install)... Thanks in advance!

x86inc

Cadet
I gave up and just installed a Debian Virtual Machine and used "virsh" to directly attach my dev to
it. In the VM I mounted it and then shared it.

look at the bottom of this formum

x86inc

Cadet
Also another option would would be to create a zvol the size of your NTFS Disk that is visible in /dev/zol/{PoolName}/{zvolName}
turn on compression and set the block size to 32K or desired then use dd to copy sector by sector to the zvolName1
DO this from a Putty SSH connection if you do it from the web page, when the page times out the dd will stop
command> sudo dd if=/dev/sd? of=/dev/zol/{PoolName}/{zvolName} bs=256M status=progress
after dd completes the original 4tb Red is not needed.
Goto Shares and share the zvol through the iSCSI Target and leave block block size at 512 bytes
go over to a windows machine start the iSCSI Initiator connect and copy your data or just access it on the TrueNAS