Cannot change transmission user

Status
Not open for further replies.

path

Dabbler
Hi, I'm trying to change my freenas to run transmission as a different user. For this purpose I'd like to edit /etc/rc.conf within the jail. I've also tried editing the rc.conf in the location that the pbi has been expanded to. But everytime I restart the transmission service, the rc.conf values are set right back to default.

D

dlavigne

My bad, let's try this again.

Which line are you adding to the jail's /etc/rc.conf? This one?

transmission_user="username"

And restarting transmission is removing that line from the jail's /etc/rc.conf? If so, which version of FreeNAS?

path

Dabbler
Hi :)
ok so Im on FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x86
I have tried editing /etc/rc.conf inside the jail and editing rc.conf inside /software/pbi/transmission-i386/etc/rc.conf (software is the plugins archive path).
in both cases I'm trying to add the line transmission_user="username" and restart and yeah this line gets removed :).
What i really want to do is run transmission as the same user who I'm using for a bunch of other scripts and for smb sharing so that it becomes easier to manage my files.

D

dlavigne

Do you get the same behavior if you start transmission using the rc script inside the jail when /etc/rc.conf inside the jail has the desired line?

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/transmission start

Status
Not open for further replies.